Yet another Powermatic #87 Bandsaw

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This puppy is going to need restoration. Granite Stoopid last year, Bandsaw Stoopid this year.
It had been sitting out on the apron under a small roof.
All cast iron, most definitely 'old Iron'.

Managed to get it home. No 'driveway', only grass in front of the shop barn. Quite the challenge.
Lifting procedure is to use a forklift at the bottom, that's going to be a problem... :cautious:
We put it on a 'back board' of 4x4's and tipped it and laid it down in the trailer.
And it is leaking fluid all over the place.
Heck of a transmission and even a compressor in it.

There were two derelict farm tractors and a large derelict trailer smack in front of the shop. Had to wait for those to get moved, and then they were asking how long to get the bandsaw out. . . :cautious:
Had a tow truck lined up but they weren't allowing anything over a pickup to roll up to the shop.
1200# bandsaw, 1800# planer, cast iron cabinet saw, 8" jointer, two large shapers, SB lathe, and the Clausing.
Sales folk had no clue as to what it takes to get that type of equipment moved out. And unfortunately the widow was there as well as the new owner and they were worried about the 'lawn'. . .

Bandsaw_02.jpg If anyone knows how to decipher the S/N please do so. I spent two cuppa's this morning trying.

How not to move a BA bandsaw.
20210320_163843_Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_6__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_1__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_4__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_7__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_2__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_11__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_13__Rc.jpg

PM_BandSaw_12__Rc.jpg

Nice find! Once you get it "debugged" you're going to love it. Those ~150" blades might eat into the budget a bit... When you get around to it I highly recommend Carter Products guide upgrades.

that's a nice saw, you are getting close to being a toolaholic

I bought one of those new back in the 1980s, the main frame was sheet steel, table was iron.

that's a nice saw, you are getting close to being a toolaholic
Young man, you oughta see the shop, the storage trailer, and the basement. And oh yeah, the spare room...

I bought one of those new back in the 1980s, the main frame was sheet steel, table was iron.
Table is iron, and a ball buster, both of the pulleys are iron also. But as you mention the outer portion is sheet.
However it did hold up to my jerry-rig rigging...
spent today staring at it laying in the trailer trying to figure out the best way to 'upright' it.

Finally got it off loaded. Going to have to stash it in the 'carport' and wait for a round toit to pop up.
Bit snarky with the skidsteer, one of the bucket tilt cylinders was leaking at the rod cap and I had to plug the lines.

20210323_172906_HDR__R.jpg

I have a powermatic 87 and love it .. Bought it when I was 16 and now I am 58.. Has always been a strong reliable machine.. The best stuff to clean it with is Oileater doesnt hurt paint and is the best cleaner without fumes.. Like others...Been using it for years...

Back