YET another tool and cutter grinder

As I said back in December
Well, finally getting back to this project

My brother and I pulled a lot of firewood out of our swamp to where it can be cut up and split next spring.
Now in the last month with warm weather again that wood is almost all cut up and split.
DSCF4667.JPG

So back to the grinder again. Today and yesterday I mounted the feed screw and 1/2 nuts. Now to figure out a way to open and close them.
DSCF4693.JPG

DSCF4694.JPG

The feed screw will be driven with a wheel chair motor w/ speed control from the right side. There is a nut and washer on each end of the rod for end play adjustment. The nuts have a locking set screw pushing on a lead pellet to protect the rod. All the mounting hardware has oversize holes to allow for line up of the parts.
DSCF4697.JPG

This was supposed to be a winter project but I'm now changing the timeframe to 2021. But that may not come about either.
Thanks for looking.
Aaron

Interesting setup. I'm curious as to why to need to have half nuts and to be able to open them? for quick traverse by hand? I'm contemplating re purposing a unit that I picked up cheap in a yard sale. My thought is quick X traverse and only have lead screw on the Y and maybe the Z. I see a tool grinder somewhat like a valve grinder and my favorites were Sioux. The X was actuated by a long handle, not handwheels.

I have a long handle to quickly traverse longitudinal by hand. It is disengaged by pulling outward. It engages a rack on the under side of the bed. I want to be able to grind tapers, hence the carriage feed rod. I made a T-slot table that will be fine adjustable for angles. You can see it in the 1st grinder picture post #21. I'll make the feed quite slow for grinding those angles. The angling table will be replaced by the X/Y table that can be seen in the 3rd pic of post #17. I have high hopes for much usefulness of this thing in grinding many kinds of tools.
Thanks
Aaron

Back