YET another tool and cutter grinder

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've decided what my next larger project will be. This will take up some time this winter.

Last winter I spent MUCH time on this https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-buggy.56866/page-2 but it'll be earning its keep moving snow this year. GO TO post # 50 for a near end picture!

I'm going to build a multipurpose tool and cutter grinder similar to the one in this video. KO Lee

I've been collecting parts and pieces for some time and have most of what may be needed to make a good start. My plan is to start with the simpler tools like lathe tools and drill bits and proceed to end mills, reamers, OD grinding and what ever else.

I have a 4' lathe bed with cross carriage as a base and a Dumore tool post grinder as a grinding head. I'll put that on a height adjustable column mounted to the back of the bed.

Here are some of the collection of resources on hand.

DSCF4442.JPG DSCF4444.JPG DSCF4451.JPG

DSCF4452.JPG DSCF4445.JPG DSCF4458.JPG

DSCF4454.JPG DSCF4455.JPG DSCF4457.JPG

Thanks for looking
Aaron

The lathe came from the machine shop that I liquidated for a friend. It was left till right at the end and I was planning on letting it go for scrap but upon looking better at it decided it would be an excellent start to this project. There was no headstock or tailstock to be found. It is all cast iron and very heavy. I plan to right away put wheels on it so I can move it to and from its final spot in the shop. Having the cross slide is what convinced me of its worth.
Aaron

Definitely "watching" this one too.

Thanks for bringing us along Aaron!

-brino

Wow, you got stuff !!! Looks like you have a good start.

Nice collection of parts. With that amount of stuff it would be hard for me to pick a direction to go. I’ll be watching too.

Nice collection of parts. With that amount of stuff it would be hard for me to pick a direction to go. I’ll be watching too.

What do you mean by "pick a direction to go"? I'm all ears.
Aaron

I usually let the resources dictate the direction I go. But I don’t think I’ve ever had a collection of resources to pick from like you have there. I contemplated making my own TCG but all the different designs have their advantages and disadvantages. In my case it came down room and time so I went with the Deckel clone. I guess when I think of a KO Lee style grinder I‘d be looking for an solid table like small mill or surface grinder to base it off of. Are you thinking of mounting some heavy plate to the top of the cross slide on your lathe frame?

During the time I was searching for TCG there were 3-4 very old cylindrical grinders for super cheap but I have no experience with them so had no idea if they would have been able to work as a TCG so let them go. Also they were pretty large.

Should be fun following along. I have a nice valve grinding machine I plan on modifying for tool sharpening. Mike

Back