YL620 VFR issues.

WOBBLER

Registered
Registered
Hello

I have an old AEW vertical milling machine fitted with a 2HP 3 phase motor.
I bought an YL620 240 to 3 phase 1.5 Kw VFD with the intention of running the mill with it.

My problem is the motor will run with the pulley belt to the head removed but not when it is fitted (under load).
I could really do with some help please.

Many thanks

Hi Wobbler,

Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to ask questions and learn.

I'm assuming you just hooked the three phase output directly to the input for your mill, is the spindle motor the only thing there or does it have other electrical components? Most of the time VFD's do not like having any switching circuitry between them and the motor, have you tried going directly to the spindle motor and bypassing any contactors, relays or switches built into your mill?

It also seems you chose the minimum size VFD for your application, while this may not present a problem you may need to configure the VFD to work with your motor. Usually there is a setting for "tuning" the VFD output to the motor you are using, have you read through the instruction manual and done any configuration steps required?

Those are the two things I can think of offhand, others will be along soon to help as well I'm sure.

Post some pictures of your set-up, we like pictures:)

Cheers,

John

As noted above, VFDs are made to power a single motor (with a few exceptions) and not machines. Some additional information on how you have hooked up the VFD maybe a photo of the wiring and also the motor name plate. I am assuming you are running the VFD off of 230VAC @ 50Hz. You need to program the VFD and set the motor parameters.
P00.00 Line input frequency = 50Hz in the UK
P00.004 is the highest frequency/speed you want the motor to achieve, when it is = motor base frequency then maximum speed would be equal to the name plate listed RPM, you can go a bit higher but not much more with an older motor.
P00.05 is the motor base frequency listed on the name plate. This is the frequency the motor is designed to operate at.
P12.00 is the motor rated current
P12.01 is the motor rated voltage (which must be less than the VFD input voltage)
P12.02 is the motor number of poles, if it is a 1750 RPM motor than this would need to be set to 4.
P12.20 is the PWM frequency, in an older motor I would run it at 6kHz if you can live with it and no higher then 8.
Seems like this unit does not have sensorless vector control, it is only V/Hz which means the performance will drop off below around 25Hz. Sensorless vector uses motor feedback to more tightly control the motor performance.

VFD input 230VAC power is connected to the N and L terminals. Make sure the motor voltage is wired (220V) the same as the VFD voltage rating, often these machines are wired for higher voltages, and the motor will have little or no power if you have the motor voltage set incorrectly on the VFD.

Hello Guys thank you for coming back to me.
Please see attached photo's.
The VFD is wired directly to the motor which is connected to the head by belt and pulleys.
I was struggling to understand the VFD manual and it's programming but have sorted it out now.
What I really need to understand or use is the correct values.
The motor is 240v 3 phase 2HP configured star delta.
I am quite confident with the wiring because the motor runs without the belt connected to the pulleys but doesn't seem to have enough torque to run with the belt connected.
I am hoping it is just a parameter that needs changing.
As you can see I am a bit tight for space at the moment with the TVR mothballed for the winter.

Attachments

• AEW VICEROY-7 (4).jpg
    AEW VICEROY-7 (4).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20191028_120717.jpg
    IMG_20191028_120717.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20191028_120746.jpg
    IMG_20191028_120746.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20191028_120917.jpg
    IMG_20191028_120917.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_AEW%20VICEROY-1.jpg
    thumbnail_AEW%20VICEROY-1.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 8
As noted above, VFDs are made to power a single motor (with a few exceptions) and not machines. Some additional information on how you have hooked up the VFD maybe a photo of the wiring and also the motor name plate. I am assuming you are running the VFD off of 230VAC @ 50Hz. You need to program the VFD and set the motor parameters.
P00.004 is the highest frequency/speed you want the motor to achieve, when it is = motor base frequency then maximum speed would be equal to the name plate listed RPM, you can go a bit higher but not much more with an older motor.
P00.05 is the motor base frequency listed on the name plate. This is the frequency the motor is designed to operate at.
P12.00 is the motor rated current
P12.01 is the motor rated voltage (which must be less than the VFD input voltage)
P12.02 is the motor number of poles, if it is a 1750 RPM motor than this would need to be set to 4.
P12.20 is the PWM frequency, in an older motor I would run it at 6kHz if you can live with it and no higher then 8.
Seems like this unit does not have sensorless vector control, it is only V/Hz which means the performance will drop off below around 25Hz. Sensorless vector uses motor feedback to more tightly control the motor performance.

VFD input 230VAC power is connected to the N and L terminals. Make sure the motor voltage is wired (220V) the same as the VFD voltage rating, often these machines are wired for higher voltages, and the motor will have little or no power if you have the motor voltage set incorrectly on the VFD.

Hi MKSJ
Thank you for your reply I will have to try to get at the motor name plate but I think the motor is 7amp 1750rpm.
I will move car and machine to find motor nameplate.
Regards

Hi
Please find changes based on MKSJ's recommendations.

P00.004 is the highest frequency/speed you want the motor to achieve, when it is = motor base frequency then maximum speed would be equal to the name plate listed RPM, you can go a bit higher but not much more with an older motor. 400Hz
P00.05 is the motor base frequency listed on the name plate. This is the frequency the motor is designed to operate at. 50Hz
P12.00 is the motor rated current 6.1 A
P12.01 is the motor rated voltage (which must be less than the VFD input voltage) 220V
P12.02 is the motor number of poles, if it is a 1430 RPM motor than this would need to be set to 4.
P12.20 is the PWM frequency, in an older motor I would run it at 6kHz if you can live with it and no higher then 8. I Can only choose 1

The head spindle will now spin but I have no real speed control and a very small window of control with the pot (5-10 Hz)

Please see attached motor label.
Again any help would be appreciated.

RegardsDSCF1254.JPG

P00.004 is the highest frequency/speed you want the motor to achieve, when it is = motor base frequency then maximum speed would be equal to the name plate listed RPM, you can go a bit higher but not much more with an older motor. 400Hz
Set this to "either 50 OR 60 Hz" not 400.
Make sure the motor is wired for Delta 220-240V.

Set P12.19 PWM Frequency to 6.0 or 8.0
SET P12:20 to "0" three phase asynchronous motor

Set this to "either 50 OR 60 Hz" not 400.
Make sure the motor is wired for Delta 220-240V.

Set P12.19 PWM Frequency to 6.0 or 8.0
SET P12:20 to "0" three phase asynchronous motor
Hello
Thank you that is much better although it doesn't appear to run as quick as it should.
I am waiting for a tacho so will double check it when it arrives.
Is it possible to download the parameters to a memory stick or laptop and has anyone made a cable to do this?

Greg

Back