Yost 6.5" Bench Vise

Johnnyc14, I have the purchased the same vise and agree it's a nice unit.

I have noticed that it's very firm when winding the handle more than a few inches and it's not possible to spin the handle with bare fingers without needing to stop because it really hurts the fingers.

I've disassembled it to see if I can make it smoother with a little less resistance, I used a honing stone to clean up the surfaces but it didn't help.

Wondering about the spring/washer interface, it seems a bit rough, I may try to find a flat thrust bearing like some of the larger Wilton's have to see if that may help, like this.

DSCF0104_zpsukgd2h6l.jpg

How smooth is yours? can you spin the handle with a finger?
David.

Edit, BTW very nice job on the soft jaws, I'll need to make some of those once I get my mill.

Last edited:
I just went out to the garage to check the vise for measurements so I could order the parts from McMaster Carr.

So I pulled the vise apart and reinstalled the acme thread into the vise without the compression spring and washers and realized the large end of the shaft is binding in the casting on the movable jaw.
Also found wear marks on the shaft near the front so something needs attention on this one.

I guess I will have to wait till my mill shows up and then I can clean up the casting and hopefully solve that issue.

That sucks. Mine is smooth but firm to turn. I've heard that some people cut the spring shorter to reduce the friction but I find it handy that the handle stays where you put it. It will not turn under its own weight but a bearing at that position makes sense and would be a good modification. Did you get yours through Amazon.ca? You could send it back for replacement. Please let me know how your vise repair goes.

Have you ordered from McMaster Carr before. I tried to order some acme nuts from them last year and they would not ship to Canada.

Johnnyc14, thanks for the response and yes I did get it from Amazon.ca, but more than 12 months ago, so probably too late to return.

It should not take too much to fix the issue, in fact I could use a rotary file and clean it up by hand in a cordless drill as it's only a few thousands to skim off but I'll wait for the mill and do a right.

IIRC it was about the same price in $CAD as the one on Amazon.com in $US which made it a great deal, but is not the case now.

I have purchased through McMaster Carr before and they shipped to Canada, I placed the orders in my Company name and had no issues, but I've heard they don't sell direct to individuals.

ddickey, yes it's the Yost 865-D1 and is on Amazon.com for about $185.00 US

BTW they are very tall, so if you purchase one allow for that when mounting. (picture by Johnnyc14)

%3A%2F%2Fi168.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fu171%2F64beaumont%2FTools%2F20151229_132705_zpsfsiqykx8.jpg

David

Last edited:
Yost does offer a lifetime warranty on their vises. It might be worth your while to shoot them an email with a picture of the interferance, at the very least they might send you some free swag.

Yeah, McMaster Carr will not sell to individuals in Canada. Too bad because they have a great catalog.

$185 bucks shipped is very inticing for a USA made vise. I searched Home Depot and Sears, both are fairly cheap considering the $450 retail price.

Back