You guys are getting out of hand.

For some reason I am itching for a 3" indexable face mill. Any suggestions? Donations?
You missed the HAAS intro offer (I got a 4" face mill, inserts and CAT 40 holder for $129). I'd try Shars.

Wait till you need to find something you know you have, but forget what drawer it's in. Then while your looking for that, you find something you just saw in another drawer, and wonder why you have 2 of them. :grin:
The only thing worse than that is when you ask your spouse to go get it for you; she comes back with two and wants to know why you absolutely must have both of them - one of which is still in its original packaging.

Ask me how I know.

I would love to have one but backing plates for my weird spindle (type C) are difficult to find. I found them available from grizzly (dirty dirty dirt cheap) but the spindle hole is different from my lathe. I machined a bushing for my collet chuck to make the first one work. I guess I should machine another one for my new 6 jaw.
Sounds like you need another lathe.

Erik, you know you have the OCD compulsion, you have to think of your wife. I hope I'm not upsetting you, I know your dealing with a lot, but your wife deserves some consideration too. Just my humble advice.....
Erik, don't listen to him.

I have not read the whole thread yet but I busted out laughing when, by post #9, it immediately went into buying a new facemill.

You are welcome.

You missed the HAAS intro offer (I got a 4" face mill, inserts and CAT 40 holder for $129). I'd try Shars.
Shars face mills do not take standard inserts - they are built to accept the Shars-specific look-alike inserts. Total POS IMO. Put industry standard inserts in these face mills, and you get the following.

Watch my Shars test video:

At least Haas is up front that their face mills use proprietary Haas inserts.

I already have 90% or more of those items, some in smaller sizes that better suit my machinery. A dividing head in on the short list. I also need/want to get a/some Mitutoyo micrometer(s) to help fill out my instrument collection. I have enjoyed their products for 30 years.
The obvious solution is to buy larger machinery...

Back