You Had Me With The Title

wagnmkr

Registered
Registered
OK, so I am a newbie. I know nothing ... I saw nothing! OOOps, that isn't exactly true. I have looked at work by some incredible craftsman and I would like to learn. I am a budding machine making guy at nearly 70 years old. I am blind in one eye and can't hardly see out of the other, but I want to make a clock. Really!

I have a 9 x 20 lathe, a reasonable mill, a drill press, and very little money. I have no experience at all ... not even a sundial.

You folks have totally captivated me and along with the wee engines I am working on, I need some direction in the clock world.

I would like to build a skeleton clock. A simple one to start.

Any links to plans, books, personal assistants, whatever ... I am all ears.

Please ... keep up the excellent work on this board ... I have waterproofed my keyboard, so drooling won't hurt it.

Cheers,

Tom

One of the users here by the name of "BRIAN" has posted a lot of clockmaking information, I recommend reading through this thread [thread]9737[/thread] as it has lots of info on tools to make to get started.

I recall that the yahoo "mlhorology" group has a couple plans for clocks. Others here may be able to suggest links to plans for good beginner designs. I, like you, am still a "wannabe" clockmaker.

Tom,
Blind in one and can't see out the other. You will fit in here just fine among all the other misfits and malcontents. Nelson our founder is also a budding clock maker so he might be able to point you in the right direction. I am totally unfamiliar with geography so I don't know where you are relevant to New York and the island, but he is on the island so it may be close to where you are or not. Either way I know he is closer to you than I am in Florida and I know absolutely zip, nada, zilch about clocks so I am of little or no help on that either. The gang here do love our little machine and the tinkering we do , so feel free to ask any questions you have and someone way smarter than I am will be more than willing to help you get sorted out and under way again. We are also a picture lovin bunch, so don't be shy about snapping pics of your machines, your shop, your tool box and even the shop dog. We love em all, so post em up in your spare time. The more the merrier. Welcome to the gang and hope you find everything you need to have fun and enjoy the hobby fully.

Bob

Thanks for the welcoming words.

I am working through a couple of other projects at the moment so I have lots of time to find a project.

I have read through Brian's thread and it is fascinating. I am patiently waiting for his book and plans to be available for the beginners clock.

Bob, I am just a few hours north of Nelson and about 18 hours north of you.

Thanks Again for the links and welcome.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom
Dont worry It's on the way I think the last Number was 9763 words 174 puotos and 31 drawings done .the next chapter is a big one so it may take a little longer. but I am trying to cover all The work in a simple way for the first time builder. it will be available late this year.
have a look at my site http://briansworkshop.weebly.com use the blog if you want. Lots of info.
Just for fun I am considering offering the No1 download/or disk.of the Dark Lady, for auction, Profits to H-M subscriptions, But I have to get it done, dont I.
Dont be afrade to ask PM me if you want

Brian.

I would recommend that you look at wooden clock movements Bryan Law has about 16 models of wooden clocks on line that he has built.
Not that you want to build a wooden clock, but he has great exploded views of his clocks, and it's a great way to see how mechanical clocks, wood or metal work.

Thanks Levi.

I have actually done that and I am studying them to gain some knowledge of how these things work.

I also have picked up some DRO's to put on my mill so I can hopefully gain more accuracy.

I have decided to play a bit and actually learn a bit more about running a mill before I bite of too big of a project.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom
The book is now available on my web site ( see bottom of the page )
It is intended to be a "Learn as you go" project, you make the simple tools you need first, to gain confidence, before having to make gears ETC.
With on line help from me at any time.
I have added a section on cutting gears on the mill, and making a simple indexing attachment for the mill using the lathe gears for indexing.
Do feel free to ask any questions.

Brian.

Hi Brian.

Thanks for the heads up. I have ordered your book and am looking forward to have a go at a clock or two.

Cheers,

Tom

Back