You know your a tool junkie when................

Talking about wife's, I have mine do all my "dickering". She can get deals that elude me. We went to a local "Old Sorehead Days" event and the piece I wanted was quoted at $50. I passed and ask her to see what he wanted for it. She bought it for $5! I learned my lesson that day. She does ALL the deal making............beats me every time. PS> I love my wife, she has her own tool shed and knows how to use 'em too...........

Yea, The wife keeps purchasing tools for her, But then some how they disappear on her. then she has to find some new ones, Problem is I can only get by with that on small items.

You know you're a tool junkie when you use the tool you just bought as a prototype, for your new improved version you build.

...when on a Saturday morning you're sitting at the 'puter, sipping coffee and reading this thread and you stare over at the Unimat that is wrapped up in a plastic tub and
you're trying to convince yourself that it is time to sell it to finance other tools. It's been in that tub for over (4) months now.
I've been contemplating selling it for over a year, but after 20 years, it's like it is a member of the family almost...

You know you're a tool junkie when ............

You start out taking 1/2 of the basement in you home and soon run out of room so you build a 25x25 shop and within the year add two extensions...

Next year you build a 28x100 weld shop two stories tall.

The next year you build a sawmill and buildings for wood, drying and storing.

Next year you build a 150x150 three story wood shop away from the welder.

Every shop needs its own set of tools. There is going to be one BIG auction here someday... It never ends. But we don't want it to..

you are still stopping at garage sales on the way to the nursing home

I think I'm a tool junkie. Why you may ask? Well I'll tell you.

Recently I bought shop...........and a house came with it I'm told. This shop is 1700 square foot with a 2 post lift. I had a 3 bed 2000 square foot house I was renting with a 2-1/2 car garage. Great you say you bought a place with a killer shop. Well now the bad part. It's 54 miles one way to work, 108 miles per day round trip.

Awhile back I bought a Trailblazer SS with a 400 horse engine I love it, but I'm making payments on it. When I was 9 miles form work it was just fine at 14 mpg, now that I'm 104 miles per day it got expensive quickly and it runs on premium fuel only.

So, can't afford to feed the SS so I bought a puddle jumper for $3k that gets 31 mpg while the SS sits and making payments on it.

Am I a fool or a tool junkie for buying the place? I just made my first house payment, I am disappointment at how little of it went to principle. But, in 7 years I paid $105k in rent, at least I'm building some equity now.

I wish I could creat a poll, am I a fool or junkie??? You decide.

What do you do when you run out of room for tools and machines and you still find things to buy?
Oooh, ooh, I know this one! Fred (former employer) could never break the habit of going to auctions and buying stuff after he sold his shop, with the intention of fixing and reselling. He filled the buildings on his rural property, then put up a new building and filled it. His new wife refused to allow him to start dragging new purchases to her very nice property. At 80+, he is trying to sell his property, but isn't having much luck selling a lot of his acquisitions. He GAVE me a very nice SB Heavy 10L and Kent 9x42 vertical mill. He just called to tell me I need to come down and get more, escrow is closing and desperation is setting in.

So, put up another shed and keep going. If necessary, buy another piece of ground.

Back