You know your a tool junkie when................

You collect tooling for a machine you don't even own yet.
So that's whats in all those milk crates...

When you have 10 lifetimes of tools, projects and your garage has more square footage than your house and filled up to the top of the rafters with crap….and you only have 1 lifetime to do something about it.
Wait - your shop has more space than the house? - you lucky dog!

When you look at every single ad this morning on CL that lists tools and can't even find one worth going to.

So now I have to work on my "honey do" list. :-(

When you see a tool in an Add/Flea Market/Yard Sale wherever, and your immediately convinced you can't live without it, but when you woke up that morning you didn't even know you needed one of those:))

1. You give each piece of equipment a name.

2. When you sell a tool, your first concern is if it will go to a good home.

3. You feel like you truely saved the world when you buy a piece of equipment that would have gone to the scrap yard.

4. You spend hours on the internet researching for information about the tool that you just bought...like geneology.

5. You begin to truly believe that: "No tool is truely happy unless it is used and loved by a craftsman."

6. You scratch your head in dis-belief when you meet someone that doesn't have a milling machine in his garage.

All Joking aside, these 3 I'm guilty of:

1. Saturday morning yard sales...If I don't see any signs of tools, it becomes a drive by. So time isn't wasted on getting to a good sale.

2. At least twice a day, check CL.

3. At least once a day, check the Hobby-Machinist and other tool forums.

Happy trails!

1. You give each piece of equipment a name.

2. When you sell a tool, your first concern is if it will go to a good home.

3. You feel like you truely saved the world when you buy a piece of equipment that would have gone to the scrap yard.

4. You spend hours on the internet researching for information about the tool that you just bought...like geneology.

5. You begin to truly believe that: "No tool is truely happy unless it is used and loved by a craftsman."

6. You scratch your head in dis-belief when you meet someone that doesn't have a milling machine in his garage.

1. Saturday morning yard sales...If I don't see any signs of tools, it becomes a drive by. So time isn't wasted on getting to a good sale.

2. At least twice a day, check CL.

3. At least once a day, check the Hobby-Machinist and other tool forums.

Happy trails!

Those were AWESOME!!! I had to read them to my wife and she wondered if I wrote them.:roflmao:

I wanted to reply with quotes to everything written here, but decided a general reply was enough. So have you guys been following me around? Recording my activities? Only to post them here? I have a definition to add to the comments: Do you know the definition of a mechanic? A mechanic is a tool junkie, a means of supporting and justifying his addiction. A machine shop is the ultimate tool junkie fantasy, there is always a better tool.

Tim

LOL, I'm so guilty of this one, if I notice a yard sale before my wife and it looks like there's only clothing and ornaments I do my best to distract her in the hopes she won't see it, and if I do have to stop I just sit in the truck sending her telepathic messages to hurry up thinking I'm missing a deal up the road:))

Want the ultimate test? There are way too many guys on here that know exactly what I'm saying, and I hope no one else ever understands. BTW, no tears on this keyboard. Here goes ...

You think about a tool in the shop in your burned-out house and wonder, "Can they clean that, or will they scrap it?" e.g. Starrett sliding square that came from the neighbour's garage sale. The lineman's pliers that your first boss in the trade gave you. And especially, the Mitutoyo micrometers. :veryscared:

Yup. I'm a tool junkie.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. (Job 1:21)

You buy a piece of equipment to upgrade what you already have. You justify your purchase by thinking what you could sell the old equipment for. When someone comes to the shop and sees you have two and ask if you want to sell one. You answer " Hell no. Why would I want to do that? "

You talk to your tools.......they talk back to you......your wife walks into your garage and interrupts your intellectual conversation with...your tools.

Back