You Might Be A Hobby-machinist If.....

you have a drawer full of dull drill bits, broken taps and dull or broken endmills...

...you're thinking about buying something, but decide that you can make one yourself at twice the price, it'll only take two weeks, you'll have to order some new tooling and that all seems perfectly reasonable.

You're entirely convinced someone mentioned an accessory you don't have for your machine(s) and will continue to search until you find it.

You would hang that poster of a WW2 machine shop if your walls weren't covered with shelves, racks, and cubbies.

When the electricity goes out, your first impulse is to call the governor's office instead of the utility company.

Coolant and/or oil don't really count as "stains".

Your favorite apron would never be allowed near food.

Last edited:
Your significant other throws away your favorite shop pants and you feel a sense of loss...

You have more aprons than your wife.

If you are getting into trouble for, "those shiny things in the carpet" from SWMBO.
If your, "honey fix this" list gets put off in favour of your shop, "to do list."

YMBAHMI....

Your granddaughter wanders into the shop and asks about some things on the bench. You tell her the name of each tool, what it is used for, what machine(s) it fits and where it is normally kept in the shop. But you cannot remember her name.

Your wife says you spend more time with Mrs. Miller than you do with her. Mrs. Miller that's what my wife named my milling machine!

You read the above answers and say to yourself "but I need that..."

YMBAHMI...

You have a virtually permanent bookmark in the Threading section of your Machinery's Handbook(s).

You know the location of the hardware/tools section of any variety store you've ever been in.

You can eyeball what size wrench is required from 1/8" to 5/8" with uncanny accuracy.

You can recognize tools from the sound they make hitting the floor, sight unseen.

You have more than one tool to do the exact same job.

You use the older tool first to keep the new tools "perty".

You stand in Sears and laugh at the goofy new tools they try to pawn off for Christmas presents each year. (I hate when I get that stuff.)

More later, hopefully.

Back