[4]

Your best roadside tool find

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I know as a tool junkie I've stopped many times to pick up tools laying on the side of the road. So when I found this 36" Ridgid pipe wrench yesterday it got me wondering what others have found.

DSCF1844.JPG

DSCF1844.JPG

davidh

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
good find. im usually too late. . .

HSS

Active User
Registered
Yeah Don, many years ago I found a German-made scissor sharpener with the guides and everything lying in the middle of the road. I use that grinder now, for sharpening my HSS bits. It has a white stone on one side and a whet wheel on the other side. Makes for a really keen edge.

Patrick

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I've found many hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers but never a grinder.

jtrain

Active User
Registered
I've found a Snap On 5/16-1/4 inch box end wrench, chain load binder and a 18 inc pipe wrench.

fastback

Active User
Registered
I have found the usual wrenches and sockets. My cousin, a retired truck driver is always finding things. Once he found a chain binder, another time he found a nice wide tie down strap, but the best item was a 3/4 drive impact wrench. It's one of those expensive super heavy duty units. The best part is he gave them to me. So needless to say I'm happy.

macrnr

Active User
Registered
I once found a nice Huntsman Welding Hood and a pair of welding gloves. Another time I found a pair of insulated coveralls, brand new but covered in cow crap. Too big for me so I gave them to my brother in law.

56FordGuy

Registered
I picked up a 5/8" blacksmith's top punch. Unusual, but not as cool as a 36" pipe wrench.

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
So far a NAPA led work light rechargeable type. Works better than a new one I bought from another maker. Just had to replace the on/off switch in the base and find the right charger. Use it all the time.
Pierre

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Last week I was driving home from a meeting in another town in the Northern part of the state. I decided to take a " shortcut " which involved about 11 miles of dirt road. I was cruising along and something caught my eye in the trees so I turned around to see what it was. Lo & behold there is 16' fiberglass ski boat sitting in the dirt. Apparently it had been stolen, stripped and left for dead. 100 miles from any water so it was surprising to see it out there in the woods. There she still sits.

jpfabricator

Active User
I was on my way to Dallas some years back, when a heater hose blew. Where i stoped the car there was a slip joint pair of pliers by the right front tire. I used them to bypass the heater core and resume my trip. I also found a heavy cast iorn stanley level on the highway, Although the vials were broke the boddy survived. Any one know where I can get replacement vials??

AR1911

Active User
Does one's driveway count as a road? My shop is 30 miles from the house. One day several years ago I pulled into the driveway and saw some sort of odd-shaped black plastic case sitting right in the middle of the driveway. Turned out to be a newish Craftsman 18" chainsaw. I figure someone must have parked in my driveway and done some work in an adjacent lot, and pulled out with it sitting on the tailgate. I'm still using that saw.

jmarkwolf

Active User
Registered
I found the channel locks ( a little tattered but who's complaining) and multi-tool below in the last year.

In the past I've found a maul (baby sledge hammer), 36" long Snap On pry bar, grain scoop (use it to feed the birds), and other things I'm sure I've forgotten.

Always get a kick out of it!

Found_tools_zps3a7d9272.jpg

Attachments

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
Driveway counts. I have a Craftsman chainsaw that I found sitting out for the trashman over 10 years ago. Replaced the fuel lines and I've used it many times since.
As far as replacement level vials I've used the ones from McMaster Carr to replace some over the years.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#vial-levels/=lgv5lr

RWL

Active User
Registered
I found a piece of 5/8'' hot rolled plate laying on the berm of the road. It is 6" by 48" Not rusty. Last autumn I found a like-new 5 gal Eagle metal safety gas can with the attached funnel laying partially covered with leaves about 6 feet off the road in the woods.

Although not strictly a roadside find, my best unexpected yard sale find was someone whose father was a machinist and long gone. The person didn't have much of interest at the yard sale, but he mentioned his father's tools when we were talking and then took me down to his cellar to see them. I bought a bunch of stuff at almost give away prices. e.g. an Interapid DTI for either $15 or $20, I forget now. The tools had been stored in a damp basement and many had a light coat of rust. I was hesitant to pay a whole lot for many of them since I didn't know how the rust would affect the accuracy of some things. In the end I made out pretty well.

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
I found a large set of snap-on snap ring pliers a few years back, internal and externals. They were laying right in the middle of the road on the entrance ramp to the highway. There had to be a dozen pairs of all different types. Not those universal POS with the interchangeable tips, these are all high quality Snap-on snap ring pliers. Gotta be worth $100 new.

mfim

Active User
Registered
In road ditch, an 8 hp gasoline powered waterpump. Fuel tank dented in from fall, but started right up.:))

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
-Not sure if this counts since it's not a tool but, I was walking through a forest preserve and someone dumped a bunch of cut-up steel hollow telephone pole sections each about 4' long and 3/8" wall. They were big tapered tubes. Had to walk 1/8 mile each way but I brought all home. 10 of e'm! Carried two at a time. LOL. Ranger stopped me and started to hassle me but after explaining, he went along.

ortho

Active User
Registered
If driveway counts here, I found a rat tail file. It was stuck through one of my tire treads. Luckily, that tire was repairable.

Ed T

Active User
Registered
1/4" drive snap on socket set in the box in a parking lot. My son found a five gallon pail full of Aloris QCTP stuff in New York. I think he got $600 buck for it on E-bay. Didn't need it then, but I do now. Oh well.

GK1918

Active User
Registered
I should say my weirest road find. Yes a left front flat with a brand new Snap on plyers stuck in my
tire - how in hell could ever happen. I still can not figure that one out.

Alan Douglas

Silent Key
Rest In Peace
When I was a kid I found the business end of a tree pruner by the road in front of the house. I'm still using it.

karlgabel2

Registered
Mine was a King-Seeley Jointer (i.e. Craftsman).
Surface rust and a motor that was filled with wood chips.
The motor had grease filled rope packing (20s?)
Cleaned out the wood chips and the motor fired up fine, the second time.
Cleaned the rust and she works great!

Bloy

Active User
Registered
I found a Milwaukee right angle hole shooter(similar in size to a sawzall) still in its case with large bits. Some sawdust/particles in case so looked to be a plumber's. The case was surprisingly not smashed. It was just around a corner so it appeared to have slid off the back of a vehicle and landed flat on its bottom.
Being in a smallish town, I felt guilty that i didn't attempt to find its owner and subsequently(much later) gave it away to someone who needed it.

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I have returned tools that I've found if they were marked with a owner. I found a 24" aluminum pipe wrench a few years ago. It was marked as belonging to a local Co-Op so I turned it in to them. They said it had been missing for over 5 years.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Active User
Registered
Several years ago I was taking the dog for a springtime walk in the mountains. I found a Cornwell 3/8" ratchet (upper right in photo) sticking out of a snow pile. Later that same day I was driving down the street and I found a cheap Ace Hardware 3/8" socket set over a 1/4 block length of road. I'd never found a ratchet before, and I find 2 in the same day.

I've also found a monkey wrench, several screwdrivers, and a few vise grips.

P2152419Large_zps18971be0.jpg

Attachments

core-oil

Active User
Registered
I know guys this will take a lot of believing, Some forty years ago, I was in a train heading from Inverness to near Inverurie direction in Scotland, Sitting watching the scenery go by , I ended up doing a double take, Way out in the country sitting right slap bang in the middle of a field, Wait for it guys -- A lathe! I nudged wife in the ribs, & said, "We have just passed a lathe sitting in the middle of that field" I still remember the strange look she gave me,
I sometimes wonder yet how an old lathe about i would say 6" centre height ended up there, The only thing i can think on was the farmer in a little farmer further along possibly was dragging it home by 4 legged horse power, a bit at a time

I certainly did not mention it to my doctor when i returned home lest he thought my job had got to me big time , & i ended up being detained in a psychiatric hospital

One of lifes little puzzles i will never fathom out

kolob10

Registered
Found a fairly new 25'- 1/2" log chain along side of the road. Last week I noticed something in the road ahead on a wide curve. Several cars in front of me ran over it as they drove by. It was an American flag. Don't know how long it was there but I almost got killed when I stopped and retrieved it. Brushed it off and it now hangs in my shop as a reminder of the "patriots" that passed this jewel up. My wife found a new Christmas tree several years ago in the retail box. She pulled it out of the road, waited an hour and threw it in the truck. She even contacted the store that it was shipped to to see if they knew what was going on. They said just to keep it. We still have that tree up at Christmas.

Uncle Buck

Registered
Registered
Since driveway finds count last summer I found a Craftsman floor model drill press, a 6" Craftsman jointer and a 10" cast iron Craftsman table saw setting at the end of a driveway marked free a block from my parents house. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of them and they were all good old USA machines from the 1970's. Turned out the owner was moving and just wanted them to go away quick!

lens42

Active User
Registered
Not on the road side, but I'd been in my house for about two years, when I had to go crawling underneath to fix a tub leak. I found a huge Wiss upholstery scissors, nice sheet metal shear, a big pipe wrench, and an old brass steam whistle. The tools weren't even that rusted.

[6]
[5] [7]