Your best roadside tool find

Best design ever. You can still buy that battery. Try to buy any other battery one half that age:eek::eek 2:
Haven't seen them available in Australia for a few years now, probably not a big enough market. still I think postage would kill it. How much are they? and are they still NiCad or have they moved on?

Inveterate junkpile junkie, so far too much stuff over the years:
Almost new Weber kettle grill, the $300 version, with accessories.
Robinair belt drive vacuum pump, worked like new.
Stand-up paddle board.
16 ft. sailboat.

Downunder Bob -
"Modern" 9.6 volt batteries for the Mkaita are nickel metal hydride. Later model Makita chargers will handle both kinds.

....are they still NiCad or have they moved on?

If you're electronically handy you can probably split the battery case and substitute lithium ion batteries for the original NiCad. The only "issue" is that you'd be going from 8x1.2v cells for 9.6v battery to 3x3.6v cells for a 10.8v battery. Drill works better!

Assuming they fit. :)

Oh, and you can't use the same charger.

Yes I'd still like to use the same charger as it's all i have and it works well. I have 8 x NiMh cells that I can repack the battery with, but I gave up trying to split the old causing, without breaking it, might try again, when I get the urge.

Is it possible to use the new 18V XLT lithium chargers. as i have one of them.

Just for fun, I searched eBay for "Makita 9.6 volt battery" and got lots of results, many of which were NiMH. I don't know how well eBay works "down under," but I'd hope that shipping from China to Australia would be about the same as shipping to the USA. So prices should be comparable. I wish you luck in your endeavors!

I found a big Crescent 18" half buried in a dirt road when I was about 6 years old......long time ago........My old man had no tools,and he used to borrow it......I still have it..........Nowdays I have a yard next to a car wrecking yard,and theives are always cutting the fence,and generally they leave wirecutters behind.........last ones were the Kniplex compound ones that cost about $70......cops asked me if I found any evidence .....it was an armed robbery....Also found a nice new Beta Utensli compound cutter a couple of years ago....

Haven't seen them available in Australia for a few years now, probably not a big enough market. still I think postage would kill it. How much are they? and are they still NiCad or have they moved on?
Exmate 2PCS 9.6V 3500mAh Ni-MH Replacement Battery Compatible with Makita 9033 193890-9 192696-2 632007-4 9001 9002 9600 191681-2 192533-0 4093D 4093DW 5090D 5090DW 6095D
I would imagine shipping would be prohibitive. I would not surprise me to find that the airlines would have a problem with these sorts of things:eek 2:

Back