Your best roadside tool find

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I know as a tool junkie I've stopped many times to pick up tools laying on the side of the road. So when I found this 36" Ridgid pipe wrench yesterday it got me wondering what others have found.

DSCF1844.JPG

DSCF1844.JPG

Yeah Don, many years ago I found a German-made scissor sharpener with the guides and everything lying in the middle of the road. I use that grinder now, for sharpening my HSS bits. It has a white stone on one side and a whet wheel on the other side. Makes for a really keen edge.

Patrick

I've found many hammers, wrenches and screwdrivers but never a grinder.

I've found a Snap On 5/16-1/4 inch box end wrench, chain load binder and a 18 inc pipe wrench.

I have found the usual wrenches and sockets. My cousin, a retired truck driver is always finding things. Once he found a chain binder, another time he found a nice wide tie down strap, but the best item was a 3/4 drive impact wrench. It's one of those expensive super heavy duty units. The best part is he gave them to me. So needless to say I'm happy.

I once found a nice Huntsman Welding Hood and a pair of welding gloves. Another time I found a pair of insulated coveralls, brand new but covered in cow crap. Too big for me so I gave them to my brother in law.

I picked up a 5/8" blacksmith's top punch. Unusual, but not as cool as a 36" pipe wrench.

So far a NAPA led work light rechargeable type. Works better than a new one I bought from another maker. Just had to replace the on/off switch in the base and find the right charger. Use it all the time.
Pierre

Last week I was driving home from a meeting in another town in the Northern part of the state. I decided to take a " shortcut " which involved about 11 miles of dirt road. I was cruising along and something caught my eye in the trees so I turned around to see what it was. Lo & behold there is 16' fiberglass ski boat sitting in the dirt. Apparently it had been stolen, stripped and left for dead. 100 miles from any water so it was surprising to see it out there in the woods. There she still sits.

Back