Your best roadside tool find

I was on my way to Dallas some years back, when a heater hose blew. Where i stoped the car there was a slip joint pair of pliers by the right front tire. I used them to bypass the heater core and resume my trip. I also found a heavy cast iorn stanley level on the highway, Although the vials were broke the boddy survived. Any one know where I can get replacement vials??

Does one's driveway count as a road? My shop is 30 miles from the house. One day several years ago I pulled into the driveway and saw some sort of odd-shaped black plastic case sitting right in the middle of the driveway. Turned out to be a newish Craftsman 18" chainsaw. I figure someone must have parked in my driveway and done some work in an adjacent lot, and pulled out with it sitting on the tailgate. I'm still using that saw.

I found the channel locks ( a little tattered but who's complaining) and multi-tool below in the last year.

In the past I've found a maul (baby sledge hammer), 36" long Snap On pry bar, grain scoop (use it to feed the birds), and other things I'm sure I've forgotten.

Always get a kick out of it!

Found_tools_zps3a7d9272.jpg

Found_tools_zps3a7d9272.jpg

Driveway counts. I have a Craftsman chainsaw that I found sitting out for the trashman over 10 years ago. Replaced the fuel lines and I've used it many times since.
As far as replacement level vials I've used the ones from McMaster Carr to replace some over the years.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#vial-levels/=lgv5lr

I found a piece of 5/8'' hot rolled plate laying on the berm of the road. It is 6" by 48" Not rusty. Last autumn I found a like-new 5 gal Eagle metal safety gas can with the attached funnel laying partially covered with leaves about 6 feet off the road in the woods.

Although not strictly a roadside find, my best unexpected yard sale find was someone whose father was a machinist and long gone. The person didn't have much of interest at the yard sale, but he mentioned his father's tools when we were talking and then took me down to his cellar to see them. I bought a bunch of stuff at almost give away prices. e.g. an Interapid DTI for either $15 or $20, I forget now. The tools had been stored in a damp basement and many had a light coat of rust. I was hesitant to pay a whole lot for many of them since I didn't know how the rust would affect the accuracy of some things. In the end I made out pretty well.

I found a large set of snap-on snap ring pliers a few years back, internal and externals. They were laying right in the middle of the road on the entrance ramp to the highway. There had to be a dozen pairs of all different types. Not those universal POS with the interchangeable tips, these are all high quality Snap-on snap ring pliers. Gotta be worth $100 new.

In road ditch, an 8 hp gasoline powered waterpump. Fuel tank dented in from fall, but started right up.:))

-Not sure if this counts since it's not a tool but, I was walking through a forest preserve and someone dumped a bunch of cut-up steel hollow telephone pole sections each about 4' long and 3/8" wall. They were big tapered tubes. Had to walk 1/8 mile each way but I brought all home. 10 of e'm! Carried two at a time. LOL. Ranger stopped me and started to hassle me but after explaining, he went along.

1/4" drive snap on socket set in the box in a parking lot. My son found a five gallon pail full of Aloris QCTP stuff in New York. I think he got $600 buck for it on E-bay. Didn't need it then, but I do now. Oh well.

Back