Your best roadside tool find

I should say my weirest road find. Yes a left front flat with a brand new Snap on plyers stuck in my
tire - how in hell could ever happen. I still can not figure that one out.

When I was a kid I found the business end of a tree pruner by the road in front of the house. I'm still using it.

Mine was a King-Seeley Jointer (i.e. Craftsman).
Surface rust and a motor that was filled with wood chips.
The motor had grease filled rope packing (20s?)
Cleaned out the wood chips and the motor fired up fine, the second time.
Cleaned the rust and she works great!

I found a Milwaukee right angle hole shooter(similar in size to a sawzall) still in its case with large bits. Some sawdust/particles in case so looked to be a plumber's. The case was surprisingly not smashed. It was just around a corner so it appeared to have slid off the back of a vehicle and landed flat on its bottom.
Being in a smallish town, I felt guilty that i didn't attempt to find its owner and subsequently(much later) gave it away to someone who needed it.

I have returned tools that I've found if they were marked with a owner. I found a 24" aluminum pipe wrench a few years ago. It was marked as belonging to a local Co-Op so I turned it in to them. They said it had been missing for over 5 years.

Several years ago I was taking the dog for a springtime walk in the mountains. I found a Cornwell 3/8" ratchet (upper right in photo) sticking out of a snow pile. Later that same day I was driving down the street and I found a cheap Ace Hardware 3/8" socket set over a 1/4 block length of road. I'd never found a ratchet before, and I find 2 in the same day.

I've also found a monkey wrench, several screwdrivers, and a few vise grips.

P2152419Large_zps18971be0.jpg

P2152419Large_zps18971be0.jpg

I know guys this will take a lot of believing, Some forty years ago, I was in a train heading from Inverness to near Inverurie direction in Scotland, Sitting watching the scenery go by , I ended up doing a double take, Way out in the country sitting right slap bang in the middle of a field, Wait for it guys -- A lathe! I nudged wife in the ribs, & said, "We have just passed a lathe sitting in the middle of that field" I still remember the strange look she gave me,
I sometimes wonder yet how an old lathe about i would say 6" centre height ended up there, The only thing i can think on was the farmer in a little farmer further along possibly was dragging it home by 4 legged horse power, a bit at a time

I certainly did not mention it to my doctor when i returned home lest he thought my job had got to me big time , & i ended up being detained in a psychiatric hospital

One of lifes little puzzles i will never fathom out

Found a fairly new 25'- 1/2" log chain along side of the road. Last week I noticed something in the road ahead on a wide curve. Several cars in front of me ran over it as they drove by. It was an American flag. Don't know how long it was there but I almost got killed when I stopped and retrieved it. Brushed it off and it now hangs in my shop as a reminder of the "patriots" that passed this jewel up. My wife found a new Christmas tree several years ago in the retail box. She pulled it out of the road, waited an hour and threw it in the truck. She even contacted the store that it was shipped to to see if they knew what was going on. They said just to keep it. We still have that tree up at Christmas.

Since driveway finds count last summer I found a Craftsman floor model drill press, a 6" Craftsman jointer and a 10" cast iron Craftsman table saw setting at the end of a driveway marked free a block from my parents house. There was absolutely nothing wrong with any of them and they were all good old USA machines from the 1970's. Turned out the owner was moving and just wanted them to go away quick!

Not on the road side, but I'd been in my house for about two years, when I had to go crawling underneath to fix a tub leak. I found a huge Wiss upholstery scissors, nice sheet metal shear, a big pipe wrench, and an old brass steam whistle. The tools weren't even that rusted.

Back