Your favorate ID/OD threading tools?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
I need to acquire ID and OD threading tools and inserts and I'm looking for some suggestions as a starting point. I will be threading mostly aluminum and brass. Also looking for opinions regarding lay down vs vertical OD threading inserts pro's con's. I have a Grizzly 12x36 G4003G gunsmith lathe, QCTP that will take up to 5/8" shank tools. Thanks!

There are many good ones. I'm a big fan of the "Carmex" line that's available from this dealer at eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/Carbide-Discount?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I have too many of their bars, holders and inserts for me to even remember but, that basic configuration really works for me. It's sharpened carbide. Lasts forever and can cut clean with a very low RPM. It's a pretty unique angle on the top that does the trick. They are standard 1/4 and 3/8" IC and should fit in any decent holder. I use the flat (horizontal) style mostly but, I do have some the vertical ones.

Ray

For external threading I use Kennametal top notch size 2. They do a great job. For internal I have Grizzly holders but buy the IR G60 and ER G60 inserts from Shar's. Triangle type shape with 3 edges.
Dave

Edit: I buy the top notch insert on ebay.

I use hand ground 3/8 HSS for OD. I always seem to have a problem with minimum bore requirements so I make my internal threading tools on the lathe from O-1 tool steel and heat treat them.

When I was working for pay, the 'lay-down' inserts seemed to work the best for me. You knew when you were deep enough when the insert trimmed the top of the thread.

I like Brownells 1/2 threader (NV) with inserts TNMC 32 and TPMC 32. Each end of the holder is used; one for ID, the other for OD work. The body is 1/2"x1/2".

This is a timely thread. Last night I was threading a chuck backing plate (66mm x 8TPi) out of 404 SS that was on hand. I always use the preground tools made in Germany that the business end resembles a snail shell. All of mine are old and re-sharpened many times, so I ordered a 16IR V60 lay down bar and inserts. I was setup and using the old tool and got to the point when the test plug went in about a thread when it broke during a ghost cut. I didn't even know and went for another ghost and nothing, checked to make sure I wasn't .100" out and saw the whole tooth was missing!

I set up with the laydown tool with dread being so close to done. It was remarkably easy to get set on groove. The notch for the top of the thread was a big help in spotting the tool on the thread. A couple thou later and done nicely. I came in and ordered an 11IR setup. After this experience they are my new 1st choice.

I use all four styles in my shop. On edge, top notch, lay down, and good old hand ground one's tool. Especially, any internal hand ground threading tools, like for threading 7/16-10 Acme and others that standard tooling won't cut.

Back