[4]

Your favorite youtube machinists?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jdedmon91

Registered
I really like Mr Pete, Keith Fenner however his content sometimes strays off, Adam Booth because of the unusual work he does, Keith Rucker especially the work he is doing on older machines for his shop. However his shop is a dream for most of us, Hill Top Machine ( our own ncjeeper ) also a personal friend.

I really like the guys in the shops at home I can relate to, that’s what I try to accomplish with my channel. The truth most of us is more that kind of a shop we would have at home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
1. Anyone that has a video about what I specifically need to know at that moment
2. Chriss at Clickspring.

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
My current playlist (I've been working away from home for most of the past 8 month and the local TV is in a foreign language so it's YouTube videos most nights for me):
Joe Pie
This Old Tony
AVE
Keith Fenner
Keith Rucker
Black Bear Forge (blacksmithing not actually machining)

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
My favorite would have to be AVE. That guy makes me laugh with his language and he is pretty knowledgeable with details. This old tony I love his humor too and knowledgeable. Abom is real world machining he should be a salesman for starrett with all the call outs of the tools he uses. Joe pie puts out some good real tips I like him. Stephan seems to always be doing stuff I’m interested in very precise and informative. Same with robin renzetti he’s on a whole other level. Solid rock machine has some good grinding videos along with bar Z.
Randy richards
Welding tips and tricks
Oxtool
Keith fenner
Edge precision
This might be my top 10

microshop dinker

Registered
First machining videos I watched were by Mr Pete. Then found (in no particular order) Randy R, both Keiths, Joe Pie, This Old Tony, Stephan G, Adam B, Brian (w/ shop dog Baily), & Tom Lipton. Each so good in his own right. These guys have provided a virtual classroom that has benefited so many of us. Hats off to them and a host of unnamed others. THANKS!!! Sammy

Superburban

I have switched throughout the years. Most of them start out great, then they get to the Sat. Sun, Mon, whatever day) ramblings, and showing off what viewers send to them. So I loose interest, and move on to the next.

hermetic

Active User
Registered
For sheer entertainment value, with a lot of good engineering thrown in Doubleboost/john Mills, Pro machinists, I like Adam Booth, Tom Lipton, Keith Fenner, Joe Pie, Phil Kerner. bcbloc02, Dan Gelbhart. Home shop guys thisoldtony, Ave, Old steam powered machine shop, and a eastern European one called factorydragon87 who brings dead broken rusty ruski machinery back from the dead! but for sheer perfection and hand tool skills Clickspring! I watch so many others too, you wouldn't believe I had time to do any real work, but I have learned so much from all these people, especially if you believe you can, or believe you can't, you are right! Wth the right approach, and attention to detail, you can teach yourself pretty much anything by watching these guys.

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
When people ask me what I'm doing in my "retirement" I tell them that--aside from continuing to work a little at my previous profession of 40 years (band instrument repair), playing in six musical groups, maintaining three old houses, and a few other things--I am studying machining on YouTube. There are so many teachers to benefit from! Just a few years ago, in most localities, there was NO place to learn this material unless your neighbor was a retired machinist or you were enrolled in a full time vocationally oriented technical college course. I am so grateful for YouTube! It's interesting that many of us seem to have gravitated to the same dozen or so YouTube teachers. I find that there is content out there on nearly every machining question I've had, and as a visual learner it's in a form that works well for me. Now that I have time to watch these videos (I didn't when I was more-than-fully employed) I'm able to learn things faster and more efficiently than I ever have.

Duke

Registered
There is one other youtuber I forgot to mention. El Metal Raymond Menendez.

He is more in the deep end in terms of the size of stuff he does. He uses a big horizontal type milling machine and his workholding and clamping is pretty interesting to me.

David S

Active User
I like the ones that have been mentioned, especially Fenner, Rucker, and Abom79. HOwever I have been watching a couple of relative upstarts, BCBLOC02, and Steve Summers.

David

RJSakowski

I like Keith Fenner for his no nonsense "git 'er done" projects. Tom Lipton has done some great videos on metrology. Joe Piecyznski does great technical videos and some useful tricks. This Old Tony has some entertaining and informative videos. Tubal Cain works better when I set the playback speed at 1.5x. I like John Saunders , NYC CNC for his enthusiasm in his CAD and CAM videos.

jbobb1

Joe Pi is very informative.
Doug Ross makes some pretty cool tools

P. Waller

I find the youtube videos about how to do a job on a machine to have an excessive amount of narration, way more then required.

I made this one for this site with no narration at all.
How To Drill a 1 5/16" Hole Through 3" of Steel In Less Then 5 Minutes.

The narration is replaced by simple text.

Place 1 5/16 drill in turret
Place part in chuck
Start spindle and coolant
Engage feed
Return when done
Repeat as often as required

I should post a series of nonsense free how to videos (-:

mwhite

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I've learned a lot from watching Mr Pete. I find him to be very interesting and informative.

P. Waller

I just made another unnarrated how to video.

Make this spool core from ABS plastic tubes. 1600 parts

Turn soft jaws that will hold the material that arrives in 10" lengths, it is 1/4" wall ABS tubing
Use a groove tool that will fit the grooves and is deep enough to part them off
Place stock in chuck
Start spindle
Start turning
Catch parts if you can.
Advance stock and repeat 1599 times

Easy as pie without excessive narration (-:

Attachments

GL

Registered
Interesting list. Most are on my go to guys. Not on list is Robin Renzetti, mostly from watching Tom Lipton at oxtoolco. Joe Pie is a smart dude with experienced insight. Robin has dealt with minutiae for the work he does, but that makes one think about the compromises we take for granted. Stefan is an anal retentive guy (not that we all aren't to some degree) that won't compromise in a small shop with small/import tools who makes impressive things happen anyway - and generally makes us feel bad about how we do things, mostly because we didn't think of it or execute on the thought...still very interesting. This Old Tony, great for thought and humor - still wonder where he actually lives now (from Pennsylvania to Europe somewhere to maybe Las Vegas area), and what he does for a living (engineering background, maybe mechanical, maybe a professor now). Abomb79, just works on big stuff that's cool, but more than that he is real world competent and a nice guy. Mr. Pete has lots of interesting information, I check in occasionally to see what's new. Will check out the names I didn't recognize. Great thread starter.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
I follow 70 youtuube creators, and all the above are on my list. More obscure, but really good channels are

THATLAZYMACHINIST - really good instructional stuff
Pierre's garage - good projects
Build Something Cool - more good projects
Phil's projects - intermediate projects and good explanations

A real treat for the intermediate to advanced person is
Stefan Gotteswinter
-If I missed it in the above lists, I'm sorry, but he's my 'watch anything he posts' list.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
Joe Pie. That guy has 40 years in the shop, for profit. His problem solving skills developed over that time are astounding. Some are really so elegantly simple it hurts:eek 2:. Others are obviously derived from a lifetime of experimentation, with production and profit as the incentive. His delivery is just my style, too. He assumes you have SOME skill and practice, but does not try to impress you with his genius. (Which he has) Great balance, great pace. Whoops, did not see the
Which ones are the best for a beginner in a home shop?
I am not sure Joe Pie is best for the very new, beginner type, but he has surely helped me (rank amatuer)

Last edited:

Jubil

What little I have learned has been from "all the above" and this forum. The youtube guys are great but I have gotten some really good info right here.
Thanks to you all.

Reactions: Z2V

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
The youtube guys are great but I have gotten some really good info right here
I agree. I have watched a bunch of videos but I have learned more from the conversations on this site than all of the videos!

[6]
[5] [7]