Your favorite youtube machinists?

I have switched throughout the years. Most of them start out great, then they get to the Sat. Sun, Mon, whatever day) ramblings, and showing off what viewers send to them. So I loose interest, and move on to the next.

For sheer entertainment value, with a lot of good engineering thrown in Doubleboost/john Mills, Pro machinists, I like Adam Booth, Tom Lipton, Keith Fenner, Joe Pie, Phil Kerner. bcbloc02, Dan Gelbhart. Home shop guys thisoldtony, Ave, Old steam powered machine shop, and a eastern European one called factorydragon87 who brings dead broken rusty ruski machinery back from the dead! but for sheer perfection and hand tool skills Clickspring! I watch so many others too, you wouldn't believe I had time to do any real work, but I have learned so much from all these people, especially if you believe you can, or believe you can't, you are right! Wth the right approach, and attention to detail, you can teach yourself pretty much anything by watching these guys.

When people ask me what I'm doing in my "retirement" I tell them that--aside from continuing to work a little at my previous profession of 40 years (band instrument repair), playing in six musical groups, maintaining three old houses, and a few other things--I am studying machining on YouTube. There are so many teachers to benefit from! Just a few years ago, in most localities, there was NO place to learn this material unless your neighbor was a retired machinist or you were enrolled in a full time vocationally oriented technical college course. I am so grateful for YouTube! It's interesting that many of us seem to have gravitated to the same dozen or so YouTube teachers. I find that there is content out there on nearly every machining question I've had, and as a visual learner it's in a form that works well for me. Now that I have time to watch these videos (I didn't when I was more-than-fully employed) I'm able to learn things faster and more efficiently than I ever have.

There is one other youtuber I forgot to mention. El Metal Raymond Menendez.

He is more in the deep end in terms of the size of stuff he does. He uses a big horizontal type milling machine and his workholding and clamping is pretty interesting to me.

I like the ones that have been mentioned, especially Fenner, Rucker, and Abom79. HOwever I have been watching a couple of relative upstarts, BCBLOC02, and Steve Summers.

David

I like Keith Fenner for his no nonsense "git 'er done" projects. Tom Lipton has done some great videos on metrology. Joe Piecyznski does great technical videos and some useful tricks. This Old Tony has some entertaining and informative videos. Tubal Cain works better when I set the playback speed at 1.5x. I like John Saunders , NYC CNC for his enthusiasm in his CAD and CAM videos.

Joe Pi is very informative.
Doug Ross makes some pretty cool tools

Back