Your favorite youtube machinists?

I find the youtube videos about how to do a job on a machine to have an excessive amount of narration, way more then required.

I made this one for this site with no narration at all.
How To Drill a 1 5/16" Hole Through 3" of Steel In Less Then 5 Minutes.

The narration is replaced by simple text.

Place 1 5/16 drill in turret
Place part in chuck
Start spindle and coolant
Engage feed
Return when done
Repeat as often as required

I should post a series of nonsense free how to videos (-:

I've learned a lot from watching Mr Pete. I find him to be very interesting and informative.

I just made another unnarrated how to video.

Make this spool core from ABS plastic tubes. 1600 parts

Turn soft jaws that will hold the material that arrives in 10" lengths, it is 1/4" wall ABS tubing
Use a groove tool that will fit the grooves and is deep enough to part them off
Place stock in chuck
Start spindle
Start turning
Catch parts if you can.
Advance stock and repeat 1599 times

Easy as pie without excessive narration (-:

1547855243929.png

Interesting list. Most are on my go to guys. Not on list is Robin Renzetti, mostly from watching Tom Lipton at oxtoolco. Joe Pie is a smart dude with experienced insight. Robin has dealt with minutiae for the work he does, but that makes one think about the compromises we take for granted. Stefan is an anal retentive guy (not that we all aren't to some degree) that won't compromise in a small shop with small/import tools who makes impressive things happen anyway - and generally makes us feel bad about how we do things, mostly because we didn't think of it or execute on the thought...still very interesting. This Old Tony, great for thought and humor - still wonder where he actually lives now (from Pennsylvania to Europe somewhere to maybe Las Vegas area), and what he does for a living (engineering background, maybe mechanical, maybe a professor now). Abomb79, just works on big stuff that's cool, but more than that he is real world competent and a nice guy. Mr. Pete has lots of interesting information, I check in occasionally to see what's new. Will check out the names I didn't recognize. Great thread starter.

I follow 70 youtuube creators, and all the above are on my list. More obscure, but really good channels are

THATLAZYMACHINIST - really good instructional stuff
Pierre's garage - good projects
Build Something Cool - more good projects
Phil's projects - intermediate projects and good explanations

A real treat for the intermediate to advanced person is
Stefan Gotteswinter
-If I missed it in the above lists, I'm sorry, but he's my 'watch anything he posts' list.

Joe Pie. That guy has 40 years in the shop, for profit. His problem solving skills developed over that time are astounding. Some are really so elegantly simple it hurts:eek 2:. Others are obviously derived from a lifetime of experimentation, with production and profit as the incentive. His delivery is just my style, too. He assumes you have SOME skill and practice, but does not try to impress you with his genius. (Which he has) Great balance, great pace. Whoops, did not see the
Which ones are the best for a beginner in a home shop?
I am not sure Joe Pie is best for the very new, beginner type, but he has surely helped me (rank amatuer)

Last edited:
What little I have learned has been from "all the above" and this forum. The youtube guys are great but I have gotten some really good info right here.
Thanks to you all.

Reactions: Z2V
The youtube guys are great but I have gotten some really good info right here

I agree. I have watched a bunch of videos but I have learned more from the conversations on this site than all of the videos!

Back