Your thoughts and suggestions welcome

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
I have an idea I would like to try out. It involves two small miter gears. These gears would be about 1/4" in diameter and they would have shafts about 3/4" to an 1" long. For one gear the shaft would be cut as a 5/32" hex, (like and allen wrench). For the other gear I would desire the opposite, so, a 5/32" hex socket? I understand the latter would increase the price as it would require broaching equipment. In the end if I had to, both shafts could be just the 5/32" allen wrench type.
How would you go about this? I don't want to take weeks learning how to cut miter gears right now and acquire the equipment involved. Gear shops seem big and would not want to take on a small prototype job like this. Plus, I don't want to spend a ton for two small gears.
Your thoughts, advice, suggestions, all welcome. Thanks

there may be stock gears available, but I think the biggest challenge will be the hex holes.; 1/4" diameter gears are going to be quite delicate, they could not transmit very much torque.

Tell us more about your original idea, I'm sure we could come up with some more options.

Tell us more about your original idea, I'm sure we could come up with some more options.
John might have uncovered the final result if I were to pursue this, that the small gear teeth might not have enough torque to get the job done. The idea is to create a way to adjust a guitar neck truss rod from the back side of the guitar body rather than the top side of the guitar body. The miter gear gizmo would basically be an extension of a 5/32" allen wrench. There's not a lot of room to work with here so the gears would need to be small.

Interesting idea.
Are you thinking bolt-on or set neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea.
Are you thinking bolt-on or set neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi David, my guitars a bolt-on.
What other right angle mechanisms are there that are simple? Maybe a universal joint? ...

Hi David, my guitars a bolt-on.
What other right angle mechanisms are there that are simple? Maybe a universal joint? ...
I play bass and I can't imagine being able to make a gear that's small enough to be unobtrusive yet still have the rigidity to turn the truss rod.
Mind you all my basses have truss rod adjustments done at the head.

I play bass and I can't imagine being able to make a gear that's small enough to be unobtrusive yet still have the rigidity to turn the truss rod.
Mind you all my basses have truss rod adjustments done at the head.
I suppose I'll just route a channel from the back to the truss rod so that an allen wrench can be fit into it and have enough swing. I just wanted something smaller on the back like a single small hole.

Back