Yuasa Round Magnetic Chuck for Lathe

All our B&S , TOS and Landis universals had them . Once we had the flat surface we could just bump the ODs in and grind away . These were mostly large HT dies . I once had the opportunity to find out just how well the chucks would hold onto a cam . I indicated the wrong throw , rapid fed the wheel in and realized I indicated the wrong lobe . It was pretty cool ! Never knew how many parts were in a Last Word indicator before among other things . Couple of bumps on the cam but it stayed on that mag chuck , but think something came loose in the back of my pants . o_O

Thanks Dave. Is that what round mag chucks are mainly used on, universal grinders?

Yup, I quickly learned making that spacer. Had very little surface area so it kept knocking loose. That particular part never fell.off the chuck though, it would just slide.off to the side. Had to take very light cuts with a very sharp tool to get it done

Haha, as much as I would really really really really really love to have a SG I don't have the room for one. :frown:
Block the part in with more steel to give it more support, if possible. Not always possible, but very often is. Surface grinder users usually learn that technique quickly.

We all do it to each other though.

Hey... looky at what I just got! ;)

The one on the left. I certainly didn't need it but it was cheap BNIB. After I sell the old model it should be a nice upgrade for not much money.

Attachments

• 20190307_000350.jpg
    20190307_000350.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 109
Yes , we had V shaped supports . Added support and also helped when locating your next part . Usually a couple thou TIR .

Block the part in with more steel to give it more support, if possible. Not always possible, but very often is. Surface grinder users usually learn that technique quickly.

I thought about it but didn't really have anything on hand since it was so thin (1/8"), I mentioned it in the other thread.

When I took the machining courses at the local college with my lil brother the tool room guy always took the time to try and teach us how, why, & when to block parts in. All the SGs were placed at an angle with a window inline of the left side of each machine. No one threw a part while I was there but 2 broken windows showed that it did happen.

Yeah, I seem to buy tools without Will's help, too, but he does make things worse. He made me want an Eagle Rock knurler so bad that I went and bought one. I'm glad I did but I will forever get to nag him about it! ;)

Ah, now I remember, here is the last thing Mike led me to buy. Very happy that he gave me the lead on it though. $100 was dirt cheap!

Attachments

• 20190307_215032.jpg
    20190307_215032.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 103
Our SG's were placed the same , and we had a few broken panes also ! The large Blanchards were right on the other side of the wall . When you heard the gatling gun go off , you know what happened ! :grin::grin::grin:

Gotta' admit, that was a smoking deal you got on that one, Will.

Yes it was. Luckily one of my brothers lived somewhat close by the seller at the time, orthewise it would have been a very long drive for me. Thanks again!

A new box for it is getting made for it right now by a member here. That's what that block of alumn is for, a dummy for fitment.

I am interested in the depth gauge you may sell if it s of decent quality. You had to put that carrot out didn t you? Were all addicts no matter how much we try to control our spending! Where is the machinist clinic? I am in need of help as I can t contain myself everytime there may be a chance for a bargain.

Back