Yuasa Round Magnetic Chuck for Lathe

Have fun cleaning up all the cast iron. I still haven't gotten around to mounting my chuck; must be a subliminal wish to avoid clean up!

Mike, have you ever tried attaching your shop vac hose to the tool post? Tape, cable ties, whatever will work and it sends about
95 percent of the chips right down the hose.

Yup, I've done that in the past and will do it again. To be honest, I have three chucks to mount and have put them all on the back burner because I'm too lazy to cover everything up before turning the back plates. I'll do them all at once and I'll remember the vac hose - thank you!

I cover with foil. Cover your ways first then a second pc. Of foil taped on to your crosslide that overlaps the first pc. Through all your motion. Good quality tape!

"Yup, I quickly learned making that spacer. Had very little surface area so it kept knocking loose. That particular part never fell.off the chuck though, it would just slide.off to the side. Had to take very light cuts with a very sharp tool to get it done"

I wonder if placing other parts on magnet (more surface area) to hold the work in place would help, like is done on surface grinders. Just thinking out loud.
Chuck

Depending on style of chuck and jaws . You can take off(screw type to reverse) your master jaws and machine washers and such to be able to use the face of the chuck to keep it square.

I love using this mag chuck. Don't know why but it's my most favorite chuck to use on the lathe. Probably the combination of bumping the part on center & the end result of facing is very satisfying. Just did these today.

20200221_152626.jpg20200221_151723.jpg20200221_154612.jpg

Back