[4]

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaconbits

Iron
Registered Member
amazing job and continues to amaze!

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I took 2 days off because I knew this was going to be fun.
because the 1/16th rivets I ordered were only .060 instead of .0625 I had to crimp a dent into the side of everyone before holding it with tweezers and driving it in. it took about 20 seconds per rivet once I got going but there are 580 of them to do so far. I cannot foresee another project involving rivets in my near future.
thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1278.JPG
DSCF1279.JPG
DSCF1280.JPG
DSCF1282.JPG
DIGI0032.JPG
Fl-09-01-_Yulee_Sugar_Mill_ruins-7-jM-3-29-08.jpg

jumps4

Global Moderator
I'm still working on the boiler and the steam piping. I don't have all the rivets in the boiler yet they hold the end caps on so they will be done later.
thanks for viewing
steve

Copy of DIGI0020.JPG
DSCF1283.JPG
DSCF1284.JPG
DSCF1285.JPG
DSCF1289.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
today I'm making the hand wheels for the steam valves. there will be 2 this size and another about half this size.
steve

DSCF1294.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
I still making pipe fittings valves and regulators...
thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1296.JPG
DSCF1297.JPG
DSCF1299.JPG
DSCF1300.JPG
DSCF1301.JPG
DSCF1302.JPG
DSCF1303.JPG
DSCF1304.JPG
DSCF1305.JPG
DSCF1306.JPG
DSCF1307.JPG

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Truly a work of art. I wish I had the patients to do something like that.

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My wife and I stopped by the Sugar Mill today while we were out flea-marketing. You must have done hundreds of hours of research just to get started with it and I can't imagine how many hours you have in the project now. You are truly a dedicated master machinist.

Ray

jumps4

Global Moderator
my first piece was the cylinder, it doesn't look too complicated but it has an internal passage that goes around the center from top to bottom so It had to be sleeved. at the time I started I had never used a lathe of mill much so It wasn't just a matter of figuring out how to make the parts but also how to do the setups and use the tools. If you look close you can see the work improves as you move out away from the cylinder. some parts I'm going to remake now. I took very good photos and used photographic measuring software to accurately measure the parts I needed to make and scale them down.
half the mill is missing so to figure out what went where I did months of research about late 1840's to early 1850's mill engines. I located and measured every mounting hole in the frames and from that information I figured out what was where and the type of setup it was. there are no 2 Steam Engines alike unless they were ordered as a pair, I have looked at thousands of old pictures. the technology was advancing so fast. these engine were the space shuttles of their time and sent people running away when they started them. at this time the south had almost no railroads and the owner of this mill David Levi Yulee also built the first railroad across Florida saving the ships a trip around the keys to deliver goods to New Orleans. the company that built the mill was the
Novelty Iron Works in New York they built ship engines and complete ships. They set world records including the first steam Atlantic crossing. Their contribution in the Civil War among other things was the armor plating on the northern ship the Monitor with it's turret, the first iron clad to battle another iron clad the Virginia or Meramec it's also called. fought to a tie no damage to either.
I still research to make things like the plumbing to see what was used then and how it looked.
thanks for viewing
Steve

wagnmkr

Swarf
Registered Member
I agree, this is going to be an incredible model.I am enjoying this thread a bunch.

Cheers,

Tom

jumps4

Global Moderator
not being able to sleep long made me productive last night and today... I finally finished all of the pipe fittings and Valves. there is one thing missing but I'm not sure I'm going to add it. there should be a manual pump out in front of the big gear on the ground but I don't think anyone would notice it missing.
next I have to make the conveyor chutes, 4 drive pulleys and the rollers for the conveyer. I don't have room on this board for the entire conveyor system so I'll just have the drive rollers turning with no belts on them.
thank you for viewing
Steve

DSCF1312.JPG
DSCF1313.JPG
DSCF1314.JPG
DSCF1315.JPG
DSCF1316.JPG
DSCF1317.JPG
DSCF1318.JPG
DSCF1319.JPG
DSCF1320.JPG
DSCF1322.JPG
DSCF1326.JPG
DSCF1327.JPG
DSCF1329.JPG
DSCF1331.JPG
DSCF1332.JPG
DSCF1334.JPG
DSCF1335.JPG
DSCF1336.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
I started making parts for the conveyor on the roller mill. I contact cemented the metal to plywood to cut it out, then I removed it with a heat gun. I also made the flat belt pulleys and installed them on the ends of the rollers. I have never found any good information as to what they would have used for conveyor belting in the late 1840's early 1850's
Steve

DSCF1338.JPG
DSCF1339.JPG
DSCF1340.JPG
DSCF1342.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
I made 2 rollers for the conveyor belts today. all the wood on my model is salvaged teak from a sunken dive platform.
I need to add detail to the sheet metal to make it look like cast plates, they didn't have sheet metal yet as far as I can see.
thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1343.JPG
DSCF1346.JPG
DSCF1347.JPG
DSCF1348.JPG
DSCF1349.JPG
DSCF1350.JPG
DSCF1351.JPG
DSCF1353.JPG
DSCF1354.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
I think I'm going to try to power it with a small ac compressor from a small air conditioner or fridge. I want to try to hook the compressor to the exhaust and pressure side so it is closed loop system. It should work if I let the suction side intake more than just the engines exhaust so it will build pressure on the high side to the regulator. it only needs 5psI to run at the speed I want it to run at. the other up side to this is the engine will stay oiled internally. I'll use a momentary switch so by holding the button it runs?
steve

ScrapMetal

Active User
Jumps, I have a question for you. I was just showing off your work to my wife and she asked me an obvious question I couldn't answer. "What is a sugar mill and how was it used?"

Would you mind a quick explanation?

Amazing work you're doing!

Thanks,

-Ron

jumps4

Global Moderator
sugar cane looks like bamboo and was harvested in the fall, stripped of its leaves then run through the roller press. the sweet liquid that was pressed from the cane was heated in a series of massive kettles until almost all of the water was removed and the sugar would begin to crystalize in a thick syrup called molasses. the molasses was fermented and used to make rum or used for cooking in its natural form. the cane sugar a brown colored crystal remained and was filtered out of the liquid.
The plantation this mill was located at was 5100 acres and during the civil war had 1000 slaves operating it. the boiler to operate the cane press was fired by the stalks that remained after being crushed.
The Yulee Sugar mill on the Margarita plantation closed at the end of the Civil war and David Yulee's home was destroyed by Northern gunboats. the steam engine and mill were only in use for 13 years so this engine was only started and run 13 times at harvest time in October/November each year then sat idle waiting for the next harvest.
Steve

180px-Geo_Fletcher02.jpg
Sugar Mill History.jpg
th8AFX30R5.jpg
th49C53IGU.jpg
th89H0VLL7.jpg

Marco Bernardini

Active User
The sugar cane is far different from the giant cane growing on river banks.
While the stem of a giant cane can be easily crushed, even if large, the sugar cane is very hard, and to cut it is not at all an easy job.
A friend of mine brought me a sample of sugar cane from Cuba, ~ 2" diameter, and it was impossible to cut it with a normal kitchen knife, as shown in the films: I had to use a metal saw…

jumps4

Global Moderator
there were two pieces of linkage for the steam box on the engine I have wanted to redo for a long time. the outside lever was made by soldering 4 pieces together because at the time I started on the mill I really didn't know how to use a rotary table and the one I have made was not really accurate. It looked ok but I had broken it when I tried to tighten it. the other part was the link in between the steam box and the linkage It was just made really fast to see if the engine even ran and I had planned to get back to making something nicer looking at a later time. so today I remade these 2 parts and tuned the engine.
thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1357.JPG
DSCF1359.JPG
DSCF1360.JPG
DSCF1361.JPG
DSCF1362.JPG
DSCF1363.JPG
DSCF1364.JPG
DSCF1367.JPG
DSCF1368.JPG
DSCF1369.JPG
DSCF1370.JPG
DSCF1371.JPG
DSCF1372.JPG
DSCF1373.JPG
DSCF1374.JPG
DSCF1375.JPG
DSCF1377.JPG
DSCF1379.JPG
DSCF1381.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
this afternoon I made a few parts for the conveyor.
The aluminum part is a jig to hold the brass blocks in position while soldering them to the sheet metal.
thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1384.JPG
DSCF1385.JPG
DSCF1386.JPG
DSCF1387.JPG
DSCF1388.JPG
DSCF1389.JPG
DSCF1390.JPG
DSCF1391.JPG
DSCF1392.JPG
DSCF1393.JPG
DSCF1394.JPG
DSCF1395.JPG

12bolts

Global Moderator
Staff member
This is great work Steve, very good detailed instructions and photos.

this made me laugh,
..I cannot foresee another project involving rivets in my near future....
The small cast plumbing fittings, are they bought or are you casting them yourself?

This is interesting,
.... and was harvested in the fall, ...
where I live, sugar cane is THE industry, and similar climate to Florida I imagine. We do all our harvesting at the start of winter and right through Spring.

Cheers Phil

jumps4

Global Moderator
Thank you Phil
I got into casting and cast most of the aluminum parts (rough cast ) then machined them out, but reaching the temperatures to melt the brass was a lot higher and made me a bit nervous. I did make a mold and tried it with poor results then I found these castings from PM research they were perfect. they even have them pre-machined.
http://www.pmmodelengines.com/product-category/pipe-fittings/unmachined/
the information about when the sugar cane harvest took place came from a state website about the mill and the plantation. There is no sugar cane growing in our area now and I have never seen the actual plant up close. these plantations have disappeared into the swamps again and the only clue of their existence is this old chimney and mill next to a local road.
Thanks for viewing
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
I soldered the adjusters for the conveyer to the sheet metal today. One of the hardest things for me to learn was how to solder tiny parts together without burning them up or just gooping on the solder. I learned with practice to use tiny dots of solder on one part, flux everything, then clamp together and heat, a quick rubbing with the flux on a brush while hot spreads the solder evenly and very little more is needed. if I do need to add more I put on a tiny dot and spread it out with the brush again. the solder normally flows in the direction of the heat source.
Thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1396.JPG
DSCF1397.JPG
DSCF1398.JPG
DSCF1399.JPG
DSCF1400.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
today I made mounting brackets for the conveyor and pivots for the chutes that go in between the rollers and conveyors. I'm finally seeing an end to this tunnel an far as making mechanical parts. I think I have 2 chain sprockets, 2 flat pulleys and an exhaust mount for the tube under the cylinder then I start on the compressor lines and electrical to operate the engine on a closed systems. the 1/4" exhaust elbows will need to be opened up so they complete the exhaust passage back to the compressor. I'm hoping that using the suction and pressure side of the compressor I can use a much smaller, quieter compressor.
steve

DSCF1404.JPG
DSCF1407.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
Today I made the sprockets and pulleys for the conveyor and test ran them on rubber bands. I have a local leather shop I'm hoping to get some soft leather flat belts made.
I will be so happy to get this finished!
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;Bv31PltYodg]

DSCF1409.JPG
DSCF1410.JPG
DSCF1413.JPG
DSCF1414.JPG
DSCF1417.JPG
DSCF1420.JPG

jumps4

Global Moderator
Today I was working in reverse, I had to take the cylinder off to machine a few areas. the 4 mounting pads that stuck out of the cylinder were not level and cocked the nuts when tightened. when I first made the cylinder a lot of people thought it was cast in its shape, I'm not good at mold making. The cylinder was cast and machined ( or in my case, at that time, "carved" ) out of a solid block. The cylinder was bored and an internal grove was cut inside in the center to move the exhaust from the valve on top to the bottom of the motor. A sleeve was then pressed in to make the bore. the piston is made from nylon. I never thought I would be putting exhaust on the engine when I built it and now that I'm going to use a closed loop system to run it I had to machine the exhaust port and install a fitting.
My first photographs of the build were all lost because of a virus the kids got on my pc downloading free games. no one has ever seen the machine work on the cylinder and valve parts and really how inexperienced I was 6 years ago when I started this project. Look close you can see where I turned the handles the wrong way. DUHHHH... So while the cylinder was all apart I took a lot of photographs to add to my build thread. All of the housings look like castings because I milled them free handed, by rotating cutting and rotating again. After machining I hand sanded most of the marks out. I cast and built a rotary table to do this and a crude tail stock.
The original engine had all square nuts And I was not able to find them when I first assembled it. ( I don't believe from what I have found, hex nuts were being used yet in the late 1840's ) Now I have machined some and I'm slowly replacing the hex nuts. I won't be able to replace all of the Allen cap screws, just the 4-40 ones with studs and nuts.
Thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1437.JPG
DSCF1438.JPG
DSCF1439.JPG
DSCF1440.JPG
DSCF1441.JPG
DSCF1442.JPG
DSCF1444.JPG
DSCF1446.JPG
DSCF1447.JPG
DSCF1448.JPG
DSCF1449.JPG
DSCF1450.JPG
DSCF1451.JPG
DSCF1452.JPG
DSCF1453.JPG
DSCF1454.JPG
DSCF1455.JPG
DSCF1456.JPG
DSCF1457.JPG
DSCF1458.JPG
DSCF1459.JPG
DSCF1460.JPG
DSCF1461.JPG
DSCF1462.JPG

Marco Bernardini

Active User
I think you deserve an exhibition of your photos, not just of the model.
"Common" people would never be able to imagine the complex work there is behind it!

jumps4

Global Moderator
Thanks Marco
maybe I'll do an Album and title it "Obsession".
my shop was originally a drafty shed.
This project started because my son and I were in a museum after visiting the original mill on a trip to Homosassa Florida, and I commented how " It would be nice to show how it originally looked and build a model of it". To which my son replied " Ya, Right Dad !! not in a million years " .
I have cut that time down to 6+ years without knowing how to do anything when I started. I purchased a lathe and small HF mill in 2009 but really never learned to use them, just shafts and spacers as needed. I can honestly say that for the most part this model is responsible for almost everything I have learned about machine work, designing and cnc. and 90 percent of the money I have spent in the last 6 years.
So my new shop, all the thousands of dollars worth of tooling and equipment and having to learn design and build my own CnC machines was just to prove to that "Little Smart As_ " I could do it.
if that's not obsessive behavior what is?
:nuts:

Steve

Marco Bernardini

Active User
if that's not obsessive behavior what is?
At least you learned to make spacers :)) and also you worked to preserve an important historical heritage.
Think to the guys who buy something like this, and don't even have the satisfaction of have it made with their own hands!

12bolts

Global Moderator
Staff member
POTM winner

Let me be the first to say, A BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!:applause:

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
thank you Phil
Steve