• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely amazing and wonderful work, congratulations on POTM, it's well deserved...!:))

Pretty cool, Steve -but... I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use a CNC machine to re-create old things :roflmao:

Congrats!

Ray

Steve this is truly some amazing work & craftsmanship. I was thinking as I was reading this thread of how many people in the future will get their interest sparked to learn the machinist skills & start doing hobby machining.
I'm with Marco on the picture board along with all the videos that you have & putting them on display at the museum. This would reveal the amount of work & dedication that you have put into this project.
I'm sure in the future there will be some little kid that will come through the museum & see the hand made model & get the machinist seed planted in his mind.
Thank you for the time & dedication that you have put into this fascinating project.
Phil.

Very nice work Steve and congratulations on POM!

Thank you Mike, Don, Marco, Ray and Phil
when my friends and neighbors see the model in person they really don't understand it, most ask why did you build that, what it does or what I'm going to use it for. The only people who do understand are the hobby machinist and real professionals. The most fascinating parts of this model to watch to me are located on the main part of the engine, the cylinder, connecting rod, flywheel, valve linkage and fly-ball governors bevel gears and linkages. those parts are all hand made.
The majority of the time It has taken to complete this model was not spent making parts but learning how to make the parts, tools, fixtures and use them to make the parts, studying thousands of photos to determine what it would have looked like and how it would have worked in the late 1840's.
I would build a few parts then put it away again so I didn't screw it up trying to finish without the skills I needed to finish it right. A good example are the gears, I could not just order an involute gear cutter to make what I needed. the gears had to be an exact size to fit the scale of the model with the same number of teeth as the original mill. this required me to learn how to draw the gear, scale it to the right size to get the correct profile of the tooth, then turn a cutter to fit the space in between each tooth to remove the metal. for me it was learning a new skill for each part and that's where all the time went.
there was 3 years or more before I had completed enough parts to see if it would even run. when I would get stuck on something I'd work on something else. the fly-ball governor that is on the mill is a culmination of several failed attempts.
It may be strange to some that the real value of the model to me is not the model itself but the skills acquired to bring it to completion. I'm giving the model away but I get to keep the skills for as long as I can still use them.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back