• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jump, that is really a wonderful job. Love to have the plans of the engine. I might be able to make it and maybe turn a ferris wheel? Very sweet and a great job. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry

hi jerry
thank you for your interest
there are no plans everything was measured off of photos and cut to scale
all the work from the flywheel in was done by hand and from the flywheel out was done with a sherline cnc the only drawings i have are for the cnc parts.
steve

thanks nelson
if your going to be down here shoot me a line you can come by and watch it run.
i have not finished it yet it is gathering dust while i build up my tooling. I started it over 4 years ago working in spurts, i need to finish it and donate it to the museum there just to get it out of the shop, i'm out of room.
all i need to make is the conveyers and the boiler (it's fake) i have the parts i just havent taken the time
steve

I'm still working on my shop and i havent returned to working on my model but i had a request on youtube for more pics of the model and the build so i located some of the pics i used and made a slideshow. I thought it turned out pretty well...
quote from youtube
"this is a photo slide show of some of the photographs i used to photo measure and build my yulee sugar mill model. there are also photos of building some of the model parts. I went to the mill and took measurments then from the photos and photo measuring software i scaled the parts to size . there are the exact same number of teeth on the gears as the original. i also researched the missing parts and by the bolt holes that were left in the frames i was able to reconstruct a close representation of how it would have looked when built. there is also a video of the model running here. any guestion contact me at hobby-machinist.com, i'm jumps4 there.
thanks for looking
steve"

[video=youtube;3Q6PffnVyOI]

Last edited:
That is an amazing peice of work there. Really like to see such craftmanship and the continuation of an historic engine.

DSCF1190.JPG
DSCF1193.JPG
DSCF1195.JPG
DSCF1200.JPG
DSCF1201.JPG
DSCF1203.JPG
DSCF1204.JPG
DSCF1206.JPG
DSCF1207.JPG
DSCF1208.JPG
DSCF1209.JPG
DSCF1210.JPG
DSCF1211.JPG
DSCF1213.JPG
DSCF1214.JPG
DSCF1216.JPG
DSCF1217.JPG
DSCF1218.JPG
DSCF1219.JPG
DSCF1220.JPG
DSCF1221.JPG
DSCF1222.JPG
DSCF1223.JPG
DSCF1225.JPG
DSCF1227.JPG
Fl-09-01-_Yulee_Sugar_Mill_ruins-3-jM-3-29-08.jpg
I pulled the Yulee Sugar Mill model out and have started working on it again.
I made a shaft coupling yesterday and the braces for the roller mill section today.
I made 6 of the braces figuring I'd mess up somewhere but I was lucky and they all fit.
It is a lot harder making these little parts than big ones for me. that's why I burn out working on the model.
steve

Looks good Steve
I never really noticed those tie bars between the roller caps before. That brass really brings em to notice

Cheers Phil

DSCF1232.JPG
DSCF1233.JPG
pump linkage diagram-Model.jpg
pump linkage diagram 2-Model.jpg
thank you Phil
Today I drilled and tapped 2, 0-80 holes in the frame and installed the boiler feed pump on the main frame . The drill bit for these screws is .0468 and I turned the tap back and forth with my fingers to cut the threads.
I then measured all the axis distances to make a pump pivot to work the pump up and down
the pivot isn't finished but the measurements look right.

thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1234.JPG
DSCF1235.JPG
DSCF1237.JPG
I'm still working on the pump linkage only 2 more pieces to make and a bit of cleanup.
If you look at the second pic you can see the pipe fitting elbows inside the frame on the pump. I'll probable start plumbing next.
I'll do a short video of everything running after I make the last 2 parts.
thanks for viewing
steve

Stunned silence.
I must have joined the wrong website: I need the one where you just pound it with a hammer until it fits. (lol)
Magnificent work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back