• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have been following this thread, but haven't said anything yet. Steve, this is truly a wonderful model, and your work sets the bar a little higher for the rest of us! Thanks for the excellent photos and the video, too.

DSCF1237.JPG
DSCF1240.JPG
this morning I completed the last 2 linkage pieces for the boiler feed pump and did a video of everything working. sorry It's a bit shaky and a lot of air noise, I just pushed a hose in the regulator and it pops out at the end of the video. I'll start on the boiler, valves and plumbing next. I ordered 1000 rivets......
here are sites with information on the original mill builders and the Yulee Plantation where it is located.
Stillman Allen & Co. Novelty Iron Works : http://machine-history.com/node/511
Yulee Plantation : http://www.homosassahistory.com/Yulee.cfm

thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;p5CLfv8Ji8Y]

What a beautiful machine. Thank you for sharing.

Steve, I don't think your local museum knows just how lucky they are to be receiving such a beautiful model. That is some fine work there.

DSCF1241.JPG
DSCF1244.JPG
DSCF1245.JPG
DSCF1246.JPG
DSCF1248.JPG
DSCF1250.JPG
DSCF1251.JPG
DSCF1253.JPG
DSCF1254.JPG
I have started to make the T's, valves, and flanges for the plumbing. this is hard trying to just solder one point and not have everything fall apart. I'm to shaky for this stuff I did find brass castings of some of the fittings, I just have to machine out the center holes. There are a lot of parts left to make, pressure safety valve, several check valves, smaller gate valves, several valve handles.....
some of this will be real and some is just for show, the mill will be running on air.
the plate in the pictures that the valves are on is the front of the boiler, I haven't machined it out round yet.
thanks for viewing
steve

That is one cool model, thanks for sharing.

Would love to have something like that for my desk at home!

today I made the pressure safety release valve and started laying out the drawing to drill 516 rivet holes in the boiler housing.
thanks for viewing
steve

boiler rivet pattern-Model.jpg
DSCF1256.JPG
DSCF1257.JPG
DSCF1258.JPG
DSCF1259.JPG
DSCF1260.JPG
safty valve profile cut out-Model.jpg

Today I drilled the rivet holes in the boiler tube. I was amazed to see my mill drill 516 holes .062 in diameter in 1 hr and 20 min. Ya gotta love CNC. the next surprise was it did it with only 2 harbor freight bits...
today the rivets showed up in the mail, 1000 of them and they are not .0625 they are .060 so I have to swedge the shank of everyone of them to make them drive in. more fun
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;FIA6HVK2MMQ]

DSCF1261.JPG
DSCF1262.JPG
DSCF1263.JPG
DSCF1264.JPG
DSCF1265.JPG
DSCF1266.JPG
DSCF1267.JPG
DSCF1268.JPG
DSCF1270.JPG
DSCF1271.JPG
DSCF1272.JPG

I have been making parts for the steam dome.
steve

DSCF1273.JPG
DSCF1274.JPG
DSCF1276.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back