• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
not being able to sleep long made me productive last night and today... I finally finished all of the pipe fittings and Valves. there is one thing missing but I'm not sure I'm going to add it. there should be a manual pump out in front of the big gear on the ground but I don't think anyone would notice it missing.
next I have to make the conveyor chutes, 4 drive pulleys and the rollers for the conveyer. I don't have room on this board for the entire conveyor system so I'll just have the drive rollers turning with no belts on them.
thank you for viewing
Steve

DSCF1312.JPG
DSCF1313.JPG
DSCF1314.JPG
DSCF1315.JPG
DSCF1316.JPG
DSCF1317.JPG
DSCF1318.JPG
DSCF1319.JPG
DSCF1320.JPG
DSCF1322.JPG
DSCF1326.JPG
DSCF1327.JPG
DSCF1329.JPG
DSCF1331.JPG
DSCF1332.JPG
DSCF1334.JPG
DSCF1335.JPG
DSCF1336.JPG

I started making parts for the conveyor on the roller mill. I contact cemented the metal to plywood to cut it out, then I removed it with a heat gun. I also made the flat belt pulleys and installed them on the ends of the rollers. I have never found any good information as to what they would have used for conveyor belting in the late 1840's early 1850's
Steve

DSCF1338.JPG
DSCF1339.JPG
DSCF1340.JPG
DSCF1342.JPG

I made 2 rollers for the conveyor belts today. all the wood on my model is salvaged teak from a sunken dive platform.
I need to add detail to the sheet metal to make it look like cast plates, they didn't have sheet metal yet as far as I can see.
thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1343.JPG
DSCF1346.JPG
DSCF1347.JPG
DSCF1348.JPG
DSCF1349.JPG
DSCF1350.JPG
DSCF1351.JPG
DSCF1353.JPG
DSCF1354.JPG

I think I'm going to try to power it with a small ac compressor from a small air conditioner or fridge. I want to try to hook the compressor to the exhaust and pressure side so it is closed loop system. It should work if I let the suction side intake more than just the engines exhaust so it will build pressure on the high side to the regulator. it only needs 5psI to run at the speed I want it to run at. the other up side to this is the engine will stay oiled internally. I'll use a momentary switch so by holding the button it runs?
steve

Jumps, I have a question for you. I was just showing off your work to my wife and she asked me an obvious question I couldn't answer. "What is a sugar mill and how was it used?"

Would you mind a quick explanation?

Amazing work you're doing!

Thanks,

-Ron

sugar cane looks like bamboo and was harvested in the fall, stripped of its leaves then run through the roller press. the sweet liquid that was pressed from the cane was heated in a series of massive kettles until almost all of the water was removed and the sugar would begin to crystalize in a thick syrup called molasses. the molasses was fermented and used to make rum or used for cooking in its natural form. the cane sugar a brown colored crystal remained and was filtered out of the liquid.
The plantation this mill was located at was 5100 acres and during the civil war had 1000 slaves operating it. the boiler to operate the cane press was fired by the stalks that remained after being crushed.
The Yulee Sugar mill on the Margarita plantation closed at the end of the Civil war and David Yulee's home was destroyed by Northern gunboats. the steam engine and mill were only in use for 13 years so this engine was only started and run 13 times at harvest time in October/November each year then sat idle waiting for the next harvest.
Steve

180px-Geo_Fletcher02.jpg
Sugar Mill History.jpg
th8AFX30R5.jpg
th49C53IGU.jpg
th89H0VLL7.jpg

The sugar cane is far different from the giant cane growing on river banks.
While the stem of a giant cane can be easily crushed, even if large, the sugar cane is very hard, and to cut it is not at all an easy job.
A friend of mine brought me a sample of sugar cane from Cuba, ~ 2" diameter, and it was impossible to cut it with a normal kitchen knife, as shown in the films: I had to use a metal saw…

there were two pieces of linkage for the steam box on the engine I have wanted to redo for a long time. the outside lever was made by soldering 4 pieces together because at the time I started on the mill I really didn't know how to use a rotary table and the one I have made was not really accurate. It looked ok but I had broken it when I tried to tighten it. the other part was the link in between the steam box and the linkage It was just made really fast to see if the engine even ran and I had planned to get back to making something nicer looking at a later time. so today I remade these 2 parts and tuned the engine.
thanks for viewing
Steve

DSCF1357.JPG
DSCF1359.JPG
DSCF1360.JPG
DSCF1361.JPG
DSCF1362.JPG
DSCF1363.JPG
DSCF1364.JPG
DSCF1367.JPG
DSCF1368.JPG
DSCF1369.JPG
DSCF1370.JPG
DSCF1371.JPG
DSCF1372.JPG
DSCF1373.JPG
DSCF1374.JPG
DSCF1375.JPG
DSCF1377.JPG
DSCF1379.JPG
DSCF1381.JPG

this afternoon I made a few parts for the conveyor.
The aluminum part is a jig to hold the brass blocks in position while soldering them to the sheet metal.
thanks for viewing
steve

DSCF1384.JPG
DSCF1385.JPG
DSCF1386.JPG
DSCF1387.JPG
DSCF1388.JPG
DSCF1389.JPG
DSCF1390.JPG
DSCF1391.JPG
DSCF1392.JPG
DSCF1393.JPG
DSCF1394.JPG
DSCF1395.JPG

This is great work Steve, very good detailed instructions and photos.

this made me laugh,
..I cannot foresee another project involving rivets in my near future....

The small cast plumbing fittings, are they bought or are you casting them yourself?

This is interesting,
.... and was harvested in the fall, ...
where I live, sugar cane is THE industry, and similar climate to Florida I imagine. We do all our harvesting at the start of winter and right through Spring.

Cheers Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back