• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Yulee Sugar Mill Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks everyone

I have been looking for ideas but nothing yet...
steve

Were there any steam boats working the coast in your area? Are there any still in existence that you could visit and document the engines and boilers? I'm thinking of building the engines and boiler from a sternwheeler that used to run on our lake. Not the whole ship.

there were a lot of them in the 1800's because almost everything was swamp, and there were very few roads but nothing now. the saltwater probably ate them pretty quick. what was your lake steamer like the paddle wheelers here had the cylinder turning the paddle wheel like it is the crankshaft. to build a running model would require building the paddle wheel also. they didn't use propellers here because of shallow waters. the boats were flat bottomed and operated in less than 3 foot of water inshore.
steve

Steve, if you wanted to stick with the sugar theme, they may have used steam locos to haul the cane to the mill, (they did here and they are dinky little locos, they still have an operational restored one here. Or a steam traction engine as used by the farmers.........

Cheers Phil

I purchased a display cabinet this week that looks like it is going to work ok. the cabinet is 3' long 3' tall and 2 foot deep all glass with a wood frame. I will install the compressor under the mill out of site.
I took a pop up camper in for free, I was going to scrap it. the roof ac leaked and every piece of wood in it fell apart. I removed all the wood with a broom and shovel. the cabinet frames were metal and still ok and the linoleum protected the floor so I gutted it out and replaced all the wood. I bought a sewing machine and repaired the canvas and it is coming out ok. another skill I had to learn... I need to catch up on my photo taking of the mill project and the camper and post them.

I built the silent compressor for the mill with the pressure controller and safety valve and it is so quiet you cant hear it run. It will cycle with the mill running continuously but I'm installing a momentary switch to run the mill only when you hold the button.
as far as the next project I'm thinking about building a small cnc surface/contour grinder, I already have the motors, electronics, ball screws and a large X/Y table.
Thanks for offering ideas
the steam tractors and locomotives are interesting, I have grandsons that will be old enough for go carts soon also. my oldest sons last go cart was 650cc 110hp Jet-ski engine. water cooled, it's still in the shed also. It was too scary to drive, you had to let off or the cart would not turn a sharp corner. I built it all out of aluminum and it didn't weight enough to keep the front end down even with the driver and engine, everything in front of the rear wheels a mid engine configuration.
Steve

my oldest sons last go cart was 650cc 110hp Jet-ski engine. water cooled, it's still in the shed also. It was too scary to drive, you had to let off or the cart would not turn a sharp corner. I built it all out of aluminum and it didn't weight enough to keep the front end down even with the driver and engine, everything in front of the rear wheels a mid engine configuration.
Steve

OOPS :bitingnails:That thing sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to following you next project.

Oh wow, I'd like to see that go cart. I dig anything with a engine in it, especially 2 strokes. LOL

Steve, the steamer in question was the SS Sicamous, owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway. It was a sternwheeler with two pistons connected to cranks at each end of the wheel axle.

http://sssicamous.ca/

If you go to the History page, the fourth photo down shows the CN No. 6. I have an RC model I built of that one some years ago.

I hope that you don't get tired of hearing it, but fantastic work. When I grow up, I want to be like you.:man:

sorry for not replying sooner
I'm not getting email notification again
I have been busy rebuilding a pop up camper for this years 4000 mile vacation
Thanks for your replies everyone
steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back