Z Axis Power Feed Info For A Bp?

PatMiles

Active User
Registered
I have a 2J Bridgeport mill with a 48" table and I'm getting tired of cranking the knee/table up and down. What brands do the members of this forum have on their BP's? Enough power? Good and bad attributes? Cost does play into the equation but I'm not looking for the cheapest POS available.
I need your feedback and opinions.
Thanks,
Pat

Top of the line is Servo brand, but also the most expensive. I personally have not had good luck with the import units.

You could also build your own using a large stepper motor, some chain and sprockets. This would still allow fine manual adjustment. I would use a 4200 oz/in, NEMA 42 stepper kit, includes motor, and drive/power supply. About $350 shipped, Ebay. Then a stepper motor speed controller, about $20 on Ebay.

Yeah, I would rather cry once and spend the big $$$ for a Servo. Parts are available if needed.
Anybody here have a Servo 200 on their Bridgeport?
Need to catch Enco with a 20% discount coupon.

Not going to make it dammit!
Need to do some research and call Servo for info.
Hope there's another 20% discount in the near future.
Thanks for the heads up Jim.

Not sure where I saw it, but someone sells a knee crank coupler that you chuck into a hand drill. Seems like a pretty cute solution. You could even dedicate an old beater corded drill to the task and leave it place.

Not sure where I saw it, but someone sells a knee crank coupler that you chuck into a hand drill. Seems like a pretty cute solution. You could even dedicate an old beater corded drill to the task and leave it place.

I sourced the coupler on ebay. It works well with one of my DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" drills even with a 6" Starrett Vice & a 12" rotary table on the mill at the same time.

I bought one of those castellated drill adapters for my mill knee. I think it was about $30 at the time. I use it with my 18V Makita 1/2"
drill. Even if I had bought the drill only for the mill knee, it would still have been a lot cheaper that the add on units.

OK, I don't run the table up and down 50 times a day.

Google: knee drill adapter

Ken

I might go with one of the castellated drill drivers for the short term. Long term I want a power feed.
Thanks for the input gents.

Back