Z Offset Gauge?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What is this used for?

Does a home shop machinst need one of these?

Nelson

It is used to set the height or location of the cutter in the z axis. It is kind like a edge finder for the end of the bit. I usually just use a piece of tape on top the part. When the cutter cuts the tape that is my zero point. Very thin paper like cigarette paper and a little oil works even better than tape. I just don't ever have any. The electronic gauges are really important with CNC milling but for home I think it is over kill.

My $0.02

Jeff

Let me explain where I'm coming from with these stupid questions.

There is a great site: http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/mensuration_instruments.htm
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/layout_tools.htm

This guy has like every tool, measuring device, and layout tool known to man.
Being a newbie, even though I know squat, I have that "tool fever".
I want to have every tool I might possibly need.
No, I don't use logic, and buy them AS I NEED THEM.
That would make TOO MUCH SENSE.

So I printed out his list of tools, all 80 or so pages, and I look through them drooling away.
But I don't have a clue what most of these things do, or why I might need them.

That is why I am asking.

Now, if I can get away from buying something for $200 bucks by using tape- tape it is.
Thanks for letting me know that. I can move on to 1-2-3 blocks or gage blocks or something.

Nelson

You won't need that gage, Nelson. It's primary use is to make a comparison between an old tool and a new tool when you change out a dull end mill, for example, in a CNC machining center. The tool length is a "known" to the control, and if you change tools, the length is bound to change. This gage will allow you to make adjustments in the tool offset, which is a number in the code that tells the machine where the end of the tool actually is, as opposed to where the machine thinks it is. If you change tool lengths, and don't tell the control, bad things can happen.

Ahhh, ok Tony. I will cross that one off my list. Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson,
I used to work in an instrument shop, (industrial) that had all number of unimaginable equipment to be available.
Some of that apppenticeship has rubbed off I suppose, in how I like my shop set up, and tidy/things put away, (just need to educate the kids better!) and also in tool envy because I know what we had and what IS available and what I am making do with now, but really, there is no need for some stuff that guys get hooked up on.
Having gone through those links you posted I would say that that is someone who has access to a manufacturers workshop, either by working there or knows somebody, or likes to photoshop catalogue lists. But not a home handyman 1st.
There is no way a hobbyist would really need all that stuff. There is hundreds of thousands of dollars there.
Sure you might have some........ but really.....not all...........

Comments like "Used for quality assurance (QA) size measurements of many parts" tells me that this is not a hobby for him.
Or a 400+ component pin/plug gauge set for a home use?
Being able to "mic" every "thou" from zero to 6 inches? Yeah it would be nice to do. But on my home lathe making parts for a steam engine, or a mates bike?
And measuring to one hundred thousands of an inch, there is probably more than that much "slop" in my mag base and arms!
Do YOU supply a QC note with what you machine?
Sure, that stuff is out there, but not necessary, or even required for home use.

Cheers Phil

It is used to set the height or location of the cutter in the z axis. It is kind like a edge finder for the end of the bit. I usually just use a piece of tape on top the part. When the cutter cuts the tape that is my zero point. Very thin paper like cigarette paper and a little oil works even better than tape. I just don't ever have any. The electronic gauges are really important with CNC milling but for home I think it is over kill.

My $0.02

Jeff

The "Z" guage can be very handy for home also. Most are preset at 2", so if you are using a readout on a mill that has "Z" axis on it, you can touch off and set it at 2.000. The other thing that is good about teh "Z" guage is that it is spring loaded n top. So when you come down and touch off, you stand less chance of chipping the tip off of your endmill.

Oh, and if you don't have cigarette paper, a piece of notebook paper is .003 thick

Back