Zamak casting in permanent molds

You are referring to alignment pins, correct? If I’m interpreting this correctly, wouldn’t a taper pin be helpful in preventing any binding?

Yes. The pins I used had a sliding fit at the start tapered pins would have been better. I used what I had on hand. In the end they weren't really needed. ;)

This morning I took the die grinder to the mold. I'm still trying to get the feed just right. Later my students cast a bunch of flywheels to the shafts. Most turned out very well with only a small number that will be remelted. The sprue still needs a smart whack to release but then the wheel and shaft both release cleanly.

IMG_3923[1].JPGIMG_3925[1].JPGIMG_3926[1].JPGIMG_3927[1].JPGIMG_3932[1].JPG

For a second year we did ornaments using a gravity permanent mold. I've been super busy and the time almost escaped me. Somehow I knocked this mold out in about an hour or so. I even forgot to order more lubricoat so we ran bare molds. The A36 mild steel molds held up great. We did about 150 ornaments this year. Basically the same mold as last year except I used a circular sprue that was like a funnel. This really cut down on failed pours even with various students casting throughout the day. If I wouldn't have milled the year into the mold half using a straight endmill the parts likely would have simply fallen out of the mold when seperated. Without draft the part had to be knocked out with a brass hammer. Maybe next year I'll plan ahead instead of waiting until the day before Christmas break. Of course everyone had a great time making something to take home for the holidays.

Santa v6.pngIMG_4560.JPG
IMG_4561.JPGIMG_4562.JPG

Last edited:
Back