Zero Experience + Atlas QC42 = ?

Unfinished_Projects

Registered
Registered
Just picked up this Atlas QC42 that needs some TLC and parts. I have zero experience with machining so I'm looking forward to the learning process.

This site seems to have a wealth of knowledge and resources so I'll start doing my research. In the mean time, here's some pics of its current condition.

Obviously need to find a motor, so I'll probably start there. If you see anything off in the pictures that needs to be addressed I'm all ears.

I found an old PDF of a parts manual and lathe operations so I'll get to studying that as well.

Thanks!

IMG_8205.JPG

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8207.JPG

IMG_8208.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8214.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

Just picked up this Atlas QC42 that needs some TLC and parts. I have zero experience with machining so I'm looking forward to the learning process.

This site seems to have a wealth of knowledge and resources so I'll start doing my research. In the mean time, here's some pics of its current condition.

Obviously need to find a motor, so I'll probably start there. If you see anything off in the pictures that needs to be addressed I'm all ears.

I found an old PDF of a parts manual and lathe operations so I'll get to studying that as well.

Thanks!

Looks in very nice shape. A little cleaning and you’ll be set...... welcome to the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Any advice on motors? Sounds like 1725 rpm, 1/2 hp, reversible TFEC?

Have read the newer imported motors may be overrated so 3/4 hp if I go that route?

I think it would be nice to find an older used motor that is made in the USA. My only concern would be if that motor has lived a long hard life already.

Has anyone recently bought a motor for QC42 and if so, how's it working out for you?

Thanks again

Thanks!

Any advice on motors? Sounds like 1725 rpm, 1/2 hp, reversible TFEC?

Have read the newer imported motors may be overrated so 3/4 hp if I go that route?

I think it would be nice to find an older used motor that is made in the USA. My only concern would be if that motor has lived a long hard life already.

Has anyone recently bought a motor for QC42 and if so, how's it working out for you?

Thanks again

IMG_3069.jpgIMG_3070.jpg

I put a 2 hp dc motor and controller onto mine. Sort of brings it into this century and gives you tonnes of options. Treadmill motors are good too; you’ll read as many threads “for” as there are “against” dc motors, and lots of guys say VFD is the only way to go. My experience has been that I have never run out of low end torque and that dc works well for me. Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 282280View attachment 282281

I put a 2 hp dc motor and controller onto mine. Sort of brings it into this century and gives you tonnes of options. Treadmill motors are good too; you’ll read as many threads “for” as there are “against” dc motors, and lots of guys say VFD is the only way to go. My experience has been that I have never run out of low end torque and that dc works well for me. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, that thing is clean! Did you restore that? Do you have a thread on it? If so, I'd like to give it a read.

I was already wanting to mount it on top of my bench, which I've seen you have done as well. Only issue is I believe that when I remove the legs, the mounting points are different heights?

Wow, that thing is clean! Did you restore that? Do you have a thread on it? If so, I'd like to give it a read.

I was already wanting to mount it on top of my bench, which I've seen you have fine as well. Only issue is I believe that when I remove the legs, the mounting points are different heights?

I restored it from a pile of “rust and goo”. Ground the bed; a 100% “all the way” job. I’ll post a thread soon. Just a couple more little pieces to finish off.

Your machine has the original legs under it, so if you remove it from the factory floor stand and mount it to a bench, the bench must be level. And sturdy and anchored to the floor. If you do convert it to a bench lathe, the factory floor stand legs are quite sellable.

Nice machine, I wish I had the OEM Drip Pan you have.
Also I'm seeing a very weird mis-alignment of the belt on the 4 step pulley.
Typically the belt never crosses from one side of the pully to the other but follows a parallel path.

Back