ZTR mower & hydraulics?

Need to find a forum similar to H-M for repairing the new-to-us Everride Warrior.
The few that I hit this morning were, shall we say, not at all like the atmosphere here at H-M.
I appreciate any suggestions, since I'm feeling lazy and not up to searching & searching.
-=--=-
It's going to need some attention. It's (14) years old and a bit rough here and there. But it spent those years in a heated garage and only mowed <2 acres.
Most of it I feel I can handle but there is one problem I need to educate myself on.
The steering is 'twitchy' as a spooked horse. No 'fine' control at all. Kind of full off or full power.
Neighbor let me stash it in his barn yesterday, until this rain passes and I can figure out how/where to house it, 'tis a rather big brute.
You'd swear I was inebriated driving it over there. I couldn't feather it or get a good feel controlling it. Couldn't keep it 'straight'.
My thinking is that the hydraulics need a good going over, rather like a skid steer, but just want to make sure - I don't want to mess up.

***Edit*** forgot to list the make/model.
Everride Warrior 60" model # ZKW2560

Thanks for reading through this.

check the "DAMPERS" on the steer levers

Exactly what fixit said. On the Toro ZTRs that I use for my lawn service there is a small gas strut/shock on the drive or control linkage. One for each side. After awhile they go bad, end result is exactly as you describe, extremely twitchy!! Hopefully this is your problem!! They are an easy fix and make a huge difference.
Ryan

Before you go tearing into the machine too much, I'd also suggest oil change/hydraulic oil change/belts/plugs/filters/etc. If I remember from your earlier post when you acquired this mower, it sat for a very long time. That can be a killer in the kind of climate we live in - as I'm sure you're well aware. It's possible that getting the mower up-to-date on normal maintenance may fix your problem. Or if not, perhaps narrow down the likely issue. It's always easier to identify a problem after you've eliminated as many variables as possible.

Regards,
Terry

Not sure if it will come back up soon but the one I used when I was in business was

I haven't been on there in years but I remember it being fairly helpful.

John

Thanks Gang! Going to hope for an easy fix. I think I've got a few rather basic things to check for and do some PM on.
It's going to be a few weeks until I can get on it. Figuring March for repairs then ready for mowing come April.
The beast is stashed in the neighbor's barn for the time being. I need to figure out where I can house it on our property. That's the main priority right now.

I don't want to park it in the back yard and tarp it. Poor thing has been in a heated garage it's whole life. :grin:

I thought I could fit it into our 10x16' shed, but the doorway is 4" less the the ZTR is wide and the the studs for the doors are integral to the frame of the shed, so I'm SOL there. Plus the shed is rather aged, needs a new roof, some shoring up, ETC.
I'm thinking of putting a 8'x 8' lean-to on the back side of it.
So many items on the 'gotta-do' list - so little time. . .

So while Honey was cleaning out the dead leaves and crud in the shop, I took some time to dink with this.
Got it started, cleaned it up, lubed all the zerk fittings, checked the belts (gtg), topped off the hydraulic oil.
Front wheels moving freely. Not sure about the gas struts yet.
Took it for a spin mowing the side yard, 15 minutes and it beat me up. Back and forth with the handles trying to control it.
Way too herky-jerky, very tough to control. Smacked into the utility trailer trying to cut close. . .
Seems to accelerate and speed up, more than I feel comfortable controlling.
Have not done the Hydraulic filter and oil change yet.
The OEM filter is 25 micron and $26...
I found a replacement, I think, but it's 10 micron. I'm thinking that it has to be a standard 'geometry' since it's an in-line adapter.
Need to figure out if a 10 micron will restrict flow.
Need to order the gas struts. Need to change the hydraulic oil. Then try again.

I have to say that as a 'riding mower' dude, I sure do miss having a brake pedal to mash down on...

I remember my first time on a ZTR! I too was all over the place!! You will get the hang of it soon!! The factory hydro filters are one thing that I will splurge on, I would rather have exactly what the engineers specify than have to worry about if it will work. Hydraulic pumps and motors are not cheap!!! The gas struts will also make a huge difference:)

Ryan

Just out of curiosity if you put both handles full forward does it track straight and keep tracking straight? And if you let go of the levers do they center and the mower stop? In hindsight shoulda asked that first.

Back