Auction find - Is this used to true a grinding wheel?

Spajo

Registered
Registered
I bought a box of odd and ends machining tools at auction. Most of the tools and machines were associated with grinding. I can not identify the item in the image. It is very well made. It rotates freely and there are two collars that turn as well. The bottom is machined flat, and the side that is visible is machined vertically along that one edge. I'm looking for a key word that I can google to find about this item -- a name or manufacturer. The device has no identifying marks that I can find.
Spajo

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6539.jpg

I believe that is used for truing surface grinding wheels in situ.

That looks like the tool for putting a radius on the corner of the grinding wheel.

Assuming that is what it is, It would carry a diamond tipped tool that would sit in the open hole to the right in the bottom photo.

Yes, radius dresser for use in a surface or tool& cutter grinder, Yes, very basic design.

Thanks everyone. Being new to the hobby, I never thought about putting a radius on a grinding wheel. I found some good youtube video's on the subject. It also fits in functionally with the other components in the box. Now if I just had a surface grinder ....

Spajo

Thanks everyone. Being new to the hobby, I never thought about putting a radius on a grinding wheel. I found some good youtube video's on the subject. It also fits in functionally with the other components in the box. Now if I just had a surface grinder ....

Spajo
stick with us and you'll be buying one in no time at all. :grin:

I personally have found the creative side of machining to be very satisfying. Making tools to achieve a goal or repurposing or modifying a tool. I wouldn’t need a surface grinder to find use for that. The hardest part would be figuring a mount for the tool so I could be used to say radius one side of a wheel of a bench grinder to grind a form tool. Yeah, it’s not something I’d use everyday but when needed it could save a lot of time having to make it.

stick with us and you'll be buying one in no time at all. :grin:
I don't doubt that!! I've definitely been looking, but I can't find an "bench top" surface grinder and the real deal machines are a bit big for my dinky excuse for a "shop". Hey, I'm working on that too.

Back