[How-To] Can't get Edge Finder Function button to display

kbsmith

Registered
Registered
I have version 3.24.05 (2024 05-01). I see the enable switch in user interface settings, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The hole circle and grid interface settings work as expected. I just want to use the manual edge finder feature.

Duh. Not a lathe function. I'm just a humble 3-in-one owner.
This is what "configurations" are for. Have one for the lathe mode and another for when you are using the milling spindle. As a bonus, you can map the scales to make sense (i.e. Z is parallel to the spindle, etc.)

Sure, and I knew that. But the hole circle and grid functions don't make too much sense for a lathe configuration either. Those turn on and off even for a lathe. I just got lulled because I could see those.

Adding those to the lathe mode was one of the top requests, actually. Apparently people use the hole circle to cut ball-ish shapes, and hole grid for various equally space slot things.

Well, I can call it a vertical mill and the UI acts as you describe.

Establishing a sub-datum then, doesn't work as expected. (only one coordinate)

Without 'input remapping' the app isn't really usable without moving cables. Unfortunately those connectors are not designed for that kind of use. I might try it anyway.

Since you allow multiple named configurations, you should display the name of the one that is in force, like the workspaces.

What do you mean "Without 'input remapping' the app isn't really usable"? You can map any input(s) to any outputs in the settings.

I will add a display for the configuration name somewhere.

My machine (lathe/mill) is hooked up as follows: The scale for longitudinal movement on the lathe is cabled to the Z axis input on the adapter and the cross-slide is cabled to the X axis input. There is no third scale, so the Y axis input is empty. No other input is connected.

I managed to get both a 'lathe' and 'mill' configuration set up. The lathe was straightforward. For the mill, I changed the label on the Z axis to 'X' and the label on the X axis to 'Y'. The main display looks like I expect and I got the axes to increase in the expected directions.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Using the MILL configuration the following happens:
When I create a sub-datum entry, it is filled with absolute coordinates from the main display BUT x is set to the Y-abs reading, y is set to zero, and z is set to the X-abs reading. (Apparently using the x, y, z nomenclature from the adapter point of view.)
When I edit that sub-datum, it only allows one input labeled 'x' which is the one from the Y axis display. (the x from the adapter point of view)

I'm really new the the whole DRO business and am only a really hobby-level machinist and of course I have only entry-level equipment. I spent 40 years as a software developer, so I know what goes into a product like TouchDRO. You're doing a good job. If I can do any helpful testing with my odd-ball set-up, please let me know.

To be frank, it would be easier for me to use the lathe coordinates for my mill work, but the edge-finder feature would be really nice!

Instead of changing the Axis Label in the settings menu, you need to change the prefix. This is what tells TouchDRO which scale to look at for that particular axis.

On a 3-in-1, lathe Z becomes mill X, and lathe X becomes mill Y.

So, you'd set the mill configuration to the vertical mill machine type, and leave the axis labels as-is. Change the Y-axis prefix to x, and the X-axis prefix to z.

Back