Info on Lodge & Shipley lathe

Dude! Yeah, that's vintage! Line shaft era... looks like a smooth conversion, though. The flat bet splice may drive you nuts. Tick, tick, tick.

Turn it by hand if you can't power it! Oil the holes before rotating.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
They say it will power up and run. Honestly was not looking for another project but figured I would get you guys input on her.

That one looks a bit older than one I have. But same price I was asking.

I’ve had one guy asking after listing on Facebook marketplace. But that all I had. I just renewed the listing, so maybe this will be the time.

Incase any one wanted to see it, here is the listing.

The equipment is out there. Just have to be patient sometimes. I bought this lathe part of a package deal, from one of my early childhood mentors estate. Remember watching Vern making chips when I was about 10 years old making hydraulic cylinder parts. 40 years later, im actually doing his last job, before he retired a second time. So when I had a chance to buy some of his personal tools, I did.

Hopefully I’ll get his shaper up and running this summer. I’ve already been using the index mill, I was going to sell, but will probably keep just because of the sentimental value. I already have a bigger lathe, so no need for the lodge and Shipley. Plus not enough room in shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand the sentimental value and the historical value of these old machines. I’m gonna go take a closer look but it may be a pass. Unless something catches my eye and won’t let go,lol

Thank you everyone for your input. I value your opinions and your advice. Would love a Leblonde or something like that but not sure I could make the space. Really want a big heavy ridged machine, just not so long. I am currently working with an old Enco 12 x 36 and it’s ok, just not as heavy as it needs to be. I will probably keep it no matter what though. The spindle runs extremely true on it. I’m gonna take a closer look and decide on this one. I see several chucks and parts he may be willing to sell. Never know what else he may have

The one shown on Facebook it at least a generation older than the first one, it has the QC box built in under the headstock, one earlier yet that I saw years ago had the same setup, but the leadscrew was between the ways, under a projection of the front flat way, quite peculiar to my way of thinking, other than it provided a more straight pull on the saddle, rather than obliquely as is most common, perhaps searching for a soultion for a problem that did not exist. Date would be post 1897 or '98 when the quick change gearbox was invented, by Hendy, as I recall.

Perhaps what you might look for is a 1940s Regal Leblond, better chance of finding a machine with less wear and tear. I had two in my shop, both 19" swing, a shorter one from the mid '40s the other about 8 ft C-C from the 50's; both served me well, brought the short one (abt) 5" C-C home for retirement.

Perhaps what you might look for is a 1940s Regal Leblond, better chance of finding a machine with less wear and tear. I had two in my shop, both 19" swing, a shorter one from the mid '40s the other about 8 ft C-C from the 50's; both served me well, brought the short one (abt) 5" C-C home for retirement.
I will keep searching and keep an eye out for an older Regal. I would love to bring this machine back to glory but it may not be worth it

That would be the best thing, with a minimum amount of effort, you could have quite a capable machine. The one that I found (in the 1980s) was off a Liberty ship, very little used, and is still capable of quite close work in spite of being in daily use until about 12 years ago when I retired from business.

Hello everyone. Got a line on an old lathe and need info and expertise. She’s pretty large and looks neglected but apparently still runs. Not sure of the size , just reads Lodge & Shipley on the side
Lodge and Shipley built superb, top of the line lathes. That one is an oldy but at least it is a gear head.
It would take quite a bit of elbow grease just to clean up but that's mostly fun and intteresting to do. You gotta get one with good bones tho. If the ways are badly worn it is just not worth the effort.
The brand brings substantial bragging rights - right up there with Monarch though not quite as well recognized.

Back