My blunder was buying JASCO Semi-Paste Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover (Non-Methylene Chloride Formula)

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm in California right now, so maybe there are more effective formulations in other States. However, the EPA (Federal) has banned Methylene for many applications so ???
I have a steel machine base cabinet with piano hinged doors and 2 internal pull-out trays. The cabinet was the factory base for a tap grinder that came from an industrial application. The cabinet is stout and in very good shape so I decided to repurpose it after essentially scrapping the grinder.

I stripped the knobs, shelves and slides from the cabinet, then used Oil Eater degreaser and a pressure washer to clean all surfaces. The interior of the cabinet had a grey finish, I think it was the OEM prime, that was removed by the degreasing process. Much (about 70-80%) of the exterior was also down to bare metal after the degreasing process, so the paint was not the toughest stuff ever.

I decided to buy a quart of the title product to make quick work of the remainder.

What a joke. I've completed my eighth application/pressure wash/dry cycle and need at least one more cycle tomorrow. It is advertised as "STRIPS MULTIPLE LAYER FAST". I call that a bold face lie (unless they meant layers of butter).

Because of this unsatisfactory performance of this product I did a little research into Methylene Chloride and find that I can buy gallons of it (shipped to CA too) from AMAZON. If I ever decide to use paint stripper in the future, I intend to buy a gallon of Methylene Chloride and juice up the cheapest paint stripper I can buy.

What I bought:

I have that Jasco, I have had great results with it, much better than Citristrip, not as good as MC. MC was the best I've used. I am surprised you can get MC.

edit: I am surprised if Amazon is really selling MC, I see a UniClean seller, I like the part if ingested drink 2 glasses of water????? WTH, that won't make you better.

Ray, how long did you leave the JASCO on for? Did you use a scraper to scrape it off?

Last edited:
The length of time left varied from 1/2 hour to overnight. I did not use a scraper. I used Scotch Brite (Purple) on small areas (with little effect) and power washed after each application. I see JASCO that looks like exactly the same nomenclature as the product I bought, except it can't be shipped to CA. Maybe NJ allows something that actually is worth a ****.

If you get straight MC, for large surfaces just cover with paper towels or other absorbent material, wet with MC and cover with poly sheet. No muss, no fuss, no gunk. Just dry sheets of paint to dispose of.

Oven cleaner is a popular paint stripper with model makers. Nasty stuff to work with (so are most paint strippers), but it does a good job taking paint off.

At least it used to, I haven't tried it in the past 10 years or so, so possible that it has also been neutered.

Oven cleaner is a popular paint stripper with model makers. Nasty stuff to work with (so are most paint strippers), but it does a good job taking paint off.

At least it used to, I haven't tried it in the past 10 years or so, so possible that it has also been neutered.

I also use Easy-Off and can attest that it ain't what it used to be, but still pretty good on heavy grease (don't use on aluminum).

Oven cleaner contains lye, hazardous to you, but not the environment.
Besides, oven cleaner is a product traditionally used by women. Those regulator know better than to screw with that demographic.

.... if ingested drink 2 glasses of water????? WTH, that won't make you better.....

The water isn't supposed to make you better. In practice this stuff will mess with your stomach, and you'll want to be sick. The water will probably help you to more effectively and efficiently yarf it back up, Think of the water as being more for flushing purposes than for actual remedy. The long term effects aside, the most immediate short term emergency is that it's pumping you full of carbon monoxide.

I'm in California right now, so maybe there are more effective formulations in other States. However, the EPA (Federal) has banned Methylene for many applications so ???
I have a steel machine base cabinet with piano hinged doors and 2 internal pull-out trays. The cabinet was the factory base for a tap grinder that came from an industrial application. The cabinet is stout and in very good shape so I decided to repurpose it after essentially scrapping the grinder.

I stripped the knobs, shelves and slides from the cabinet, then used Oil Eater degreaser and a pressure washer to clean all surfaces. The interior of the cabinet had a grey finish, I think it was the OEM prime, that was removed by the degreasing process. Much (about 70-80%) of the exterior was also down to bare metal after the degreasing process, so the paint was not the toughest stuff ever.

I decided to buy a quart of the title product to make quick work of the remainder.

What a joke. I've completed my eighth application/pressure wash/dry cycle and need at least one more cycle tomorrow. It is advertised as "STRIPS MULTIPLE LAYER FAST". I call that a bold face lie (unless they meant layers of butter).

Because of this unsatisfactory performance of this product I did a little research into Methylene Chloride and find that I can buy gallons of it (shipped to CA too) from AMAZON. If I ever decide to use paint stripper in the future, I intend to buy a gallon of Methylene Chloride and juice up the cheapest paint stripper I can buy.

What I bought:
I was fortunate enough to have purchased 2 gallons of the old aircraft stripper before the ban

Back