POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

For the way wipers is worth putting a letter of neoprene or rubber between the holder and the felt. That pushes the chips out of the way and stops them getting stuck in the felt. Then the belt dispenses clean oil behind the wiper. It’s not perfect, but should increase the cleaning intervals
I think the felt will be enough for now. Normally that spot is pretty clean, the felt will keep that occasional odd chip out of the way.
All of the way wipers on this old machine are felt only. Eventually (hopefully) they'll all get an upgrade.

Somewhat tedious setup for a very quick operation to add a magnet pocket to a coffee accessory:
b1d7454424a1927754472a0370f9fab5.jpg

Hydro usually go above rated spec by a specific percentage based on rated pressure, then once at that pressure it has to sit and hold that pressure for a specified time without leakdown to prove soundness.

Once that is done, drying the inside of the tank is a bear as is trying to prevent corrosion because normally, the inside of the tank is bare metal.

I was taught, at least on easily portable tanks, to use a (custom made) spray bar through the inspection ports on the end of the tank and spray anti-corrosion product on the inside of the tank walls if it was going to sit for a while not in use to prevent corrosion. Side effect? none. Benefit? a (semi) protected tank.
If you are doing a hydro-test properly you go 1.5 times the maximum operating pressure. Industrial equipment generally has a safety factor of 2 and consumer equipment safety factor will generally vary between 2.2 and 2.3.

If that is an oil-less compressor you do not want to spray the inside of the tank down with any kind of oil or hydrocarbon which can migrate back to the compressor head. Go ahead and tell me how that will never happen cuz I am ready to explain how it will.

If you are doing a hydro-test properly you go 1.5 times the maximum operating pressure. Industrial equipment generally has a safety factor of 2 and consumer equipment safety factor will generally vary between 2.2 and 2.3.

If that is an oil-less compressor you do not want to spray the inside of the tank down with any kind of oil or hydrocarbon which can migrate back to the compressor head. Go ahead and tell me how that will never happen cuz I am ready to explain how it will.

As regards oil-less compressors, never worked with them, never will, company I worked for never touched them either... refused point blank to deal with them.

I worked solely with compressors that had a lubricated head be that screw, recipro piston or the occasional vane type. My own compressor is oil lubricated.

As to Hydro testing... I intentionally did NOT get in to the specifics because there was no real need to.

I have been able to get the motor to spin it up to speed with the pipe not connected to the tank. There is just one problem. Every other ish run it gets up to 3/4 speed and trips the breaker. It’s one a 60 amp breaker with a 7.5hp RPC and the compressor motor is 7.5hp (21Amps) (that probably causes some problems with the RPC being the same power) I don’t have the centrifugal pressure release fully working either. I do want to run some power factor capacitors on the compressor motor to bring down the starting and running current. That along with getting the centrifugal pressure release working properly should allow it to start every time.

I have been able to get the motor to spin it up to speed with the pipe not connected to the tank. There is just one problem. Every other ish run it gets up to 3/4 speed and trips the breaker. It’s one a 60 amp breaker with a 7.5hp RPC and the compressor motor is 7.5hp (21Amps) (that probably causes some problems with the RPC being the same power)

The bottom line is the inrush current plus load is topping your 7.5 HP RPC. One neat trick is to use the RPC to start any other motors you can first, and while they are running without load, start the compressor. The other motors boost the RPC and will give the kick it needs. Something you can do while testing, anyway.

The bottom line is the inrush current plus load is topping your 7.5 HP RPC. One neat trick is to use the RPC to start any other motors you can first, and while they are running without load, start the compressor. The other motors boost the RPC and will give the kick it needs. Something you can do while testing, anyway.
It takes about 3 seconds after startup for it to trip. I’ll try that with the mill motor to see if that helps.

Last month I remodeled the kitchen with some new cabinets and much more. I kept the old cabinets for use in the shop.
I needed a place to display my latest two model engines but the center post was in the way. I cut the post out and attached it to the left door and it worked great. I cut out the inside of the doors and installed some plexiglass.
IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3195.JPG

My four cylinder engines are now together.

Ray

Back