Trying to figure out what I have here

Well, I am happy to report that the chuck came off with a little persuasion. I gave it a couple doses of Kroil and let it set thru dinner, tonight. I was able to break it loose with a long piece of lumber and a good pull. I must have had it off before, as there was some anti-seize on the threads, which looks like something that I would have done.

The back end of the spindle measured out at about 1.4” ID. The thread measured at 2-1/4-8 on the chuck end. How can I tell if it is designed for use with collets? I am not familiar with what I would need to use collets. For now, I am going to look for a 3-jaw scroll chuck.
Yes, it will take collets (see previous publication I linked earlier in this thread for the 2.25" thread spindle http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/16606.pdf).
You will probably have to pay quite a bit for a used set. As to collet info, you may want to check out this old South Bend catalog starting around page 48. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/4569.pdf

A

I found a nice set of RSB collets, with thread protector, collet adapter, and draw bar. I received it today, but it looks like it is missing something. It looks like there is a collar or bushing missing that would go between the thrust bearing and the end of the spindle, (See red arrow.) I do not believe that the drawbar is a Southbend drawbar. I thought that I read somewhere that the Southbend drawbar did not have a thrust bearing. Did the SB drawbar have something in here where the arrow is?OVERALL.jpgThe collets do thread into the drawbar, as they should, I think. Please pardon my ignorance, as I have never seen this set-up before. I think that I have all the pieces that I have assembled properly. Please let me know if I have not.

20240514_195634.jpg20240514_195609.jpg20240514_195558.jpg20240514_195546.jpg

I think I can make a bushing or collar to go between the tapered surface behind the hand wheel and the end of the spindle. Is there anything special about the collar that I would fabricate for this? Or just something that fits and can run against the spindle and hand wheel?

Shag Dog: Thanks for the catalog and SB info for the 10. The catalog was very informative to give me an idea as to what to look for. It was appreciated!!

Thank You in advance.

Chris

Last edited:
Back