4th Axis Build

Loftfan

Registered
Registered
I thought I'd share my 4th axis project with the group here. I was gifted a Tsudakoma RZ-150R Indexer. I have a need for 4th axis capability, so this seemed like a good way to start.

After removing the cover over the motor, I found this unit had a 400w induction motor. I learned this isn't the easiest or cheapest way to power an axis, so I'm in the process of replacing that motor with a 400w servomotor from Stepperonline. No data was immediately available for this motor or for the encoder attached to it. I'm also looking forward to shedding a good bit of weight - that induction motor is heavy!

Something I don't know is the technical differences between indexers and rotary axes. Is there a difference in hardware, or just the controls and drive motors? To the uninitiated, they look to be very similar.

IMG_20230815_132629.jpg
KIMG0318.JPG
KIMG0316.JPG
KIMG0323.JPG
KIMG0322.JPG

KIMG0325.JPG

The adapter plate is now complete! On to the next step:

Attachments

• KIMG0339.JPG
    KIMG0339.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-1599035205.mp4
    37.9 MB
Got the new servo motor mounted today. I unfortunately broke a tap off in one of the four servo mounting holes, but I have a tap extractor set on the way to take care of that.

I had to machine down the two fixture keys to fit the T-slots on my table. The keys were .550" wide and my table has 12mm (.470") slots. We'll be moving soon!KIMG0342.JPG

We have motion!

The Stepperonline/Leadshine instructions could be a lot better. I spent several hours troubleshooting my connection to this thing. What worked ulimately is simply plugging the USB to RS-232 adaptor into another USB port on my PC. Then, I had to learn how to disengage the brake within the servo (apply 24V to two leads on the motor cable).

Now I need to wire up the servo driver to my Acorn controller and finish up the reassembly of the motor cover for this unit.
View attachment KVID0346.mp4

Back