63mm knurled tube

Woodywaverider

Registered
Registered
Hi - new member here

Mainly do model engineering. Live in the UK 1/2 between Bristo and Bath. Only have a small watch lathe, that can’t go this large and I’m struggling to find a local machinist.

I’m looking for a 63mm OD tube, 120mm in length. Wall thickness not so important, not under 1.6mm - 2-3mm preferred.

Material can be either mild steel or aluminium, steel preferred.

diamond knurling.

no knurling for the fist 30mm, then either a 30mm band or knurling all the way to the end.

Tolerance can be .5mm, prefer over rather than under.

Does not need to be immaculate.

This is the sort of thing I’m aiming for, ignore the cap part, that’s a separate component. Only Loki g for a tube to insert.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7264.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

First of all, Welcome to H-M

63mm = 2.480"
1.6mm = .063"
2mm = .079"
3mm = .118"
30mm =1.181"
120mm = 4.724"

That looks like a piece of 2.5" OD x .125 wall x 6" long steel tube to me (American with limited availability to metric stock).
Face one end, chamfer ID & OD.
Use bull nose live center (or special washer).
Cleanup cut OD to 2.480".
Knurl 1.18" band starting 2.362" from finished end.
Part off 4.74" long.
Face to finished length 4.724", chamfer ID & OD.

I expect to be returning to my home base in a few weeks and I'll be glad to make it for you.
I'll check back with you when I get home, unless I see here that someone else takes care of it sooner.

There are quite a few members in England, but every member may not see your thread.
You can look at the Member Map from Members pull down menu (in the dark blue at top/center of every page).
You could reach out to any member(s) via starting a conversation (envelope looking button in the dark blue line at the top/right of every page).

First of all, Welcome to H-M

63mm = 2.480"
1.6mm = .063"
2mm = .079"
3mm = .118"
30mm =1.181"
120mm = 4.724"

That looks like a piece of 2.5" OD x .125 wall x 6" long steel tube to me (American with limited availability to metric stock).
Face one end, chamfer ID & OD.
Use bull nose live center (or special washer).
Cleanup cut OD to 2.480".
Knurl 1.18" band starting 2.362" from finished end.
Part off 4.74" long.
Face to finished length 4.724", chamfer ID & OD.

I expect to be returning to my home base in a few weeks and I'll be glad to make it for you.
I'll check back with you when I get home, unless I see here that someone else takes care of it sooner.

There are quite a few members in England, but every member may not see your thread.
You can look at the Member Map from Members pull down menu (in the dark blue at top/center of every page).
You could reach out to any member(s) via starting a conversation (envelope looking button in the dark blue line at the top/right of every page).
Thank you, that’s brilliant.

I’ve also messaged a number of local businesses as well, they might just be slow to reply, but I suspect for a one off piece it may not be worth their while.

I live near a restored steam railway, they do most their own engineering, so when the weather is better I’ll take a walk and pop my head round the door, see if they can help. It’s a bit of a long shot but you never know, good excuse to stretch the legs.

It’s for a replica movie prop and only cosmetic, it won’t be functional or load bearing.

I can always cut it down and face it myself by hand, the main part I’m not capable of doing myself is the knurling. (A little frustrating as I make most my own parts just on a smaller scale)

If no one from the UK is able to help, then I’ve no issue with covering postage from the US on top of your time and materials etc.

I’m not in any rush for it either, all the other parts will probably take me around 6 months to make, this is part No.2

Thanks again.

Sounds good.

I was lucky enough to live 6 months in Bristol in 1980, on a foreign assignment, working at BAE Filton.
It was a real pleasure in many ways. I lived in the hotel at Castle Park (was a Holiday Inn then, IIRC).
The experience defined my concept of Vacation. I've been retired for 20 years and have not exceeded the pleasure of that six months.

Not much of an update.

None of the companies I contacted replied.

Thought I’d found a chap in the UK who said he could do it, but after almost a week of messages, he just said that he had tried and it was too large for his machine :( and kept coming off.

Did you use the Member Map to look for UK members?

Any update on this? If I'm going to make it, I want to secure a piece of raw stock before I travel home.

Any update on this? If I'm going to make it, I want to secure a piece of raw stock before I travel home.
ff513cf0-d70e-4cba-8761-88eff73576ba.jpeg

Thanks. My brother is still planning to make it, this is the stock he has, for some reason he wanted to do the knurling then remove the centre to turn it into a tube, possibly because he already had a piece of stock knocking around?

He’s just swamped with work at the moment, so I’ll chase him up about it in the new year.

Back