About my book "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe"

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Some of the members here on Hobby-Machinist ask questions about my book “Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe”. So, I thought I would post some sample pages from the book, to give an overall flavor of the writing style, and include the complete Table of Contents as an attachment here. Have a look at the attached if you’re interested.

When I first got my metal lathe (a Precision Matthews 1340GT), I made the early decision to avoid making and sharpening my own HSS tools if possible. This decision was driven largely by the fact that I have been a woodworker all my life and have 20 or so woodworking planes, and twice that number of chisels that all require regular sharpening. I really wanted to be free from that chore in my metalworking pursuits.

After four years of talking with tooling engineers, buying tooling, testing inserts of various types, and absorbing most of the available literature on the topic, I decided to document my newly acquired knowledge and experience, turning it into a combination “buyers guide” and “reference book” to help others. Writing and illustrating the book became my full time “covid lockdown” project lasting close to a year with over 1,000 hours invested in its creation.

In many ways, the result is the user guide I wish someone had given me when I began to investigate indexable tooling. And I still use the book myself as a reference any time I want to source a new insert or cutting tool for my lathe, or when users post questions related to these topics. It's available from Amazon at this link.

Attachments

• Indexable Tooling Sample Pages.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 985
Thankyou for posting the preview. It looks like you’ve written just the type of book I need to wet my feet with carbide tooling!

I appreciate that you included in your preview page 12 “Three Tools to Get Started” with too.

Some of the members here on Hobby-Machinist ask questions about my book “Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe”. So, I thought I would post some sample pages from the book, to give an overall flavor of the writing style, and include the complete Table of Contents as an attachment here. Have a look at the attached if you’re interested.

When I first got my metal lathe (a Precision Matthews 1340GT), I made the early decision to avoid making and sharpening my own HSS tools if possible. This decision was driven largely by the fact that I have been a woodworker all my life and have 20 or so woodworking planes, and twice that number of chisels that all require regular sharpening. I really wanted to be free from that chore in my metalworking pursuits.

After four years of talking with tooling engineers, buying tooling, testing inserts of various types, and absorbing most of the available literature on the topic, I decided to document my newly acquired knowledge and experience, turning it into a combination “buyers guide” and “reference book” to help others. Writing and illustrating the book became my full time “covid lockdown” project lasting close to a year with over 1,000 hours invested in its creation.

In many ways, the result is the user guide I wish someone had given me when I began to investigate indexable tooling. And I still use the book myself as a reference any time I want to source a new insert or cutting tool for my lathe, or when users post questions related to these topics. It's available from Amazon at this link.
Hi, David; I've had your book on my wishlist for a while, so I guess it's time to buy it. However, a quick question: from the samples pages, it looks like you discuss larger (1/2" & up) tool holders and corresponding inserts – do you also include data and info for 1/4", 5/16" & 3/8" tools holders?

Thanks,

Charlie

I got interested in metal working a few years ago, mainly to make parts for my old machines and the billion tooling choices was overwhelming. David's book reduces the billion to a manageable number and provides a foundation to expand your tooling knowledge. I can't overstate it's value as a resource.

Dave

Hi, David; I've had your book on my wishlist for a while, so I guess it's time to buy it. However, a quick question: from the samples pages, it looks like you discuss larger (1/2" & up) tool holders and corresponding inserts – do you also include data and info for 1/4", 5/16" & 3/8" tools holders?

Thanks,

Charlie
Hi Charlie,

You are correct that the specific "shopping lists" for toolholders in the book references 1/2" – 3/4" shank tooling. There are two main aspects to the book content. One aspect is to demystify insert terminology and help uses make sense of it in a way that they can make more informed decisions about selecting an insert for specific materials and operations. That discussion should be pertinent to smaller toolholder applications. Another aspect of the book makes specific recommendations on toolholders and inserts to go with them for 10-14" lathes and lists specific model numbers from quality manufacturers for 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" shank turning and facing toolholders. There is some discussion of smaller boring bars as well. Some H-M users have contacted me via DM and asked for guidance on selecting smaller indexable tools for their 7 or 8" mini lathes, and I've shared some ideas with them, but at that end of the scale, the viability of indexable tooling is largely wrapped up in questions about the machines power and rigidity. Tell me a bit more about the machine you are trying to match up with indexable tools please.

Hi Charlie,

You are correct that the specific "shopping lists" for toolholders in the book references 1/2" – 3/4" shank tooling. There are two main aspects to the book content. One aspect is to demystify insert terminology and help uses make sense of it in a way that they can make more informed decisions about selecting an insert for specific materials and operations. That discussion should be pertinent to smaller toolholder applications. Another aspect of the book makes specific recommendations on toolholders and inserts to go with them for 10-14" lathes and lists specific model numbers from quality manufacturers for 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" shank turning and facing toolholders. There is some discussion of smaller boring bars as well. Some H-M users have contacted me via DM and asked for guidance on selecting smaller indexable tools for their 7 or 8" mini lathes, and I've shared some ideas with them, but at that end of the scale, the viability of indexable tooling is largely wrapped up in questions about the machines power and rigidity. Tell me a bit more about the machine you are trying to match up with indexable tools please.
David,

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy with the assortment of tool holders that I am using on my 7x16 Mini-Lathe (primarily on Aluminum and free-cutting steels), so the lack of specifics on the holders themselves shouldn't be an issue. However, the information concerning insert designations and materials will be invaluable, particularly as it relates to "translating" between ANSI & ISO terminology and also types of inserts designed specifically for Aluminum, which I like for the excellent finishes that can be obtained (due primarily to the smaller radius tips & lower tool pressures I assume). This information would be applicable to some of my LMS Hi-Torque Mini-Mill indexible holders as well.

My introduction to machining was on a 9" South Bend 50 years ago, and I always struggled with grinding bits for use in the lantern tool post, so like you looked to inserts as an alternative when I started my hobby shop. While I do make use of conventional HSS for the occasional special bit, I rely on a set of 3/8" A.R. Warner tool holders (CCMW 21.5x T-15 inserts) and 8mm Diamond tool holders (1/4" Crobalt®) from Eccentric Engineering when I'm not using no-name 8mm or 10mm insert tool holders & Carbide.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited:
Back