Acetone vs Isopropyl Alcohol

Speaking of gasoline, just filled tonight $2.549 @ Sam's Club. And I get another 5¢/ gallon credit on my card to spend in the store. (Plus membership & Sam's Mastercard) Never thought I'd see gas this cheap again. Used to always be an open pump @ Sam's but not now. There is often a short line at all 12 of the pumps. People like cheap gas!
We paid $4.45 at Costco yesterday. It's better than it was.

Got 10 litres of MEK the other day via amazon. Haven't opened either of the two bottles yet. I wonder if it's less or more offensive smelling than acetone? I mean I can bear the smell but eh, I can live without it.

Got 10 litres of MEK the other day via amazon. Haven't opened either of the two bottles yet. I wonder if it's less or more offensive smelling than acetone? I mean I can bear the smell but eh, I can live without it.
It's similar but different.
I think MEK has more of a bite to the sinuses and, well, frankly, it will buzz you faster in concentration.

MEK smells sweater to me.
Didn't have an issue with it when I was building an airplane. Now, even working with PVC cement it makes me feel tired and draggy.

Coming into this late, but on the gasoline burns side discussion... Yes it does! There is a reason fire departments are not supposed to use gasoline in live fire training.

This incident occurred during a training fire in New York state in 2002. The structure had been "primed" with gasoline, and by the time they went to light it, the fumes had filled the building.

Old video so quality isn't too good, the "fun" starts at around 1 minute 50 seconds in. There is a slow motion replay at the end at the 6 minute mark.

Nobody was killed but 10 firefighters and 1 civilian were injured.

I would have thought they knew better.

I'd like to think nobody goes to work in the morning hoping to inspire a training video of what not to do. Unfortunately I see enough examples to burst that bubble of hope.

Steve Martin sums up my feelings on the subject quite well here. (again sorry for the poor video quality). BTW Roxanne is the most realistic inside look of the fire service I have seen in any movie or TV show.

Back