Alibre Workshop - Opinions?

samstu

Registered
Registered
Hey All, Anybody try "Alibre Workshop". CAD/CAM package at $400. I didn't see this on the alibre site previously and it looks like it takes aim at autodesk & F.U.360. I like that it can be a one-time purchase.

A long time ago I downloaded a free trial. it was easier to learn than FreeCAD but, at the time, not as fully featured as other similar systems. Looking at their product pages, it appears it has come a long way. May be a viable option.

I got an email from Alibre announcing the availability of this package so I went to their web site to look at. They are using MeshCam as the Cam component of the package. In the FAQ is a statement to the effect that their package is intended for those working in "soft" materials like plastic and wood. For "hard" materials like metal, MeshCam really didn't have the ability to generate proper tool paths.

I got the feeling that they were really aiming this at the people who are using CNC routers, not those of us that use milling machines. All their demo videos are done on CNC routers.

Back