Another change gear question

GMorris

Registered
Registered
Hello all. New to the forum and new to my 1976 TSL-800D. Like most, it's missing the change gears but I found a company in the Netherlands that makes all kinds of gears. I purchased 50t, 85t, 95t and 120t gears. I have not attempted to fit them yet so I don't know yet if they need to be bored, bushed, etc. to fit the machine. The gears that were on the machine when I bought it are 30t, 100t and 80t (this combination is not on the gear chart)

I'm more interested in getting the cross-feed rate smaller than I am about threading. The tag on the machine indicates that a combination of 50/85/30/120 will get the smallest cross-feed rate. Does anyone have a picture of this combination mounted on the machine.

Thanks in advance. Guy

The need for fine feed rates may not be as important as how tools are ground to perform the work,

I agree B. I have some HSS and Carbide tools that I've been working with. I haven't experimented grinding my own tools yet. My impression is the present feed rate is pretty course. The surface finish is much better hand-feeding.

I did take a look at the purchased gears. They are steel, 17mm thick (5mm thicker than stock) and the bore is 16mm. The bore will need to be opened up and a keyway cut. Not sure yet if the thicker width is a problem yet. May be easier to make new bushings (2) vs turning the gears down. Looks like an easy retrofit for someone looking for gears at a reasonable price.

Back