Another fair value question

RallyCamaro

Registered
Registered
I have found a Van Norman #12 for sale locally. I have spoken with the owner. Particulars - his father (now deceased) purchased the mill at auction a number of years ago (5+ based on when he died), there is no tooling, the over-arm is missing and the mill is not, and has never been, powered up by current owner(s). My question...is it worth more than scrap value? He is asking $800 which I think is too high by more than double, but I don't know values. Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

Bradley

With all the potential problems the unknowns present, and the missing pieces, it's not worth much more than scrap value, but some. If you are game for it, buying a couple of them as parts donors might be worth considering. You are right, $800 is too much, IMO.

A Van Norman # 12 at 1800 lbs is only worth about $230.00 in scrap value around here
That being said they are very easy to work on and some parts are around
I would offer $400.00 Max and if you have any major problems you could always part it out
I never scrap vintage machines
And as you know the tooling is the money!!
Good luck

I always think "fair value" is kind of like a divorce in that its a number lower than the asking and higher than the offering enough that both parties feel they came out on the short end of the deal
you know "between what one fool is asking and the other fool is giving"!!

RallyCamaro link=topic=3121.msg22247#msg22247 date=1313519425 said:
I have found a Van Norman #12 for sale locally. I have spoken with the owner. Particulars - his father (now deceased) purchased the mill at auction a number of years ago (5+ based on when he died), there is no tooling, the over-arm is missing and the mill is not, and has never been, powered up by current owner(s). My question...is it worth more than scrap value? He is asking $800 which I think is too high by more than double, but I don't know values. Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

Bradley

Ok Bradley, you came to the right place.

I bought two, a 1943 from a Navy ship that I parted out. I still have the base, ram and knee castings. Wanna come to NYC and take them, they are YOURS. Rather give em away than see them sold for scrap.

Have a 1946 VN #12 that I am working to get in my basement (see the thread on here).

I paid $400 for the 1943, $300 for the 1946.
A little tooling with each- lots of work.

The overarm can be bought from Online Metals- they have stressproof you can use. I can get you the exact dimension and size of the stuff you need to buy.
The overarm support- do you have it? If not- THAT is hard to get in original. A guy on PM is selling castings, I think $150 each, so plan for that expense if it is missing.

Parts can be bought from RPI, but are SKY HIGH. I found it best to buy a second VN #12 mill for parts (cheaper) than go to RPI. A binder screw is about $43, just to give you an example.

Offer $300, see what he says.
One reason I like you guys to list your location is I can give you some ideas on shipping. Had both of mine shipped about $250-300 each from Pa.
I unloaded both of them, and disassembled them ALONE, using an engine crane and a couple dollies.

Several of us own #12's on here- it is a GREAT machine. I can't wait to get mine going.

Any other questions, just ask!

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back