Brazing v.s. silver solder / silver brazing

You can use propane for cutting just not for welding. I like my oxy-propane setup for heating and brazing and have done a little cutting with it.

I purchased the Harris kit, brought it home, set it up and prepped then brazed a few pieces of 16 gauge mild steel (as a test)
using a stick of 0.045" silicon bronze tig rod. All went ok. Things stuck together and withstood the hammer test.

Question is................can I use the silicon bronze tig rod that I have laying around? If not, would someone recommend a particular rod suitable for my purposes? thanks again!

TBF, I have used Silicon Bronze C2 as well as Phosphor Bronze on mild steel (at different times) without issue, not sure that will answer your question specifically though..

TBF, I have used Silicon Bronze C2 as well as Phosphor Bronze on mild steel (at different times) without issue, not sure that will answer your question specifically though..
That's a step in the right direction. Was thinkin that TIG and OX/Acet braze material might be different. Thanks

TIG vs OA is just a different source of heat. The filler metal does not know or care how it got hot, it just knows what its temp is. The difference is in the flux as there is more contaminants at the joint while at elevated temp with OA where you have air and the combustion byproducts of the OA flame available to contaminate the molten metal, TIG has shielding gas to keep the air away from the molten metal.

Back