Chainging the oil on my 1228

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
Thanks to all the help from this forum, I have my 1228 set up, broken in, and running nicely.

I was told that after the break in period I should change the oil and I think that is where I am at.

This leads me to my question: what do you guys use as a funnel at a drain pan?

As for drain pans, I found this one from US Plastic Corp (which is even sorta color matched :)). Once I found it, I realized I don't l know how much oil is in there so I am wondering if this will hold enough?

I'm still looking at getting the oil into the machine and I am sure this is problem that has been solved many times over, so please teach me.

Thanks,
Mark

I have a 1236T, so don’t know how different mine is from yours, but I use a long oil funnel and put the end in an empty oil jug. I need to hold it until the gearbox is empty, but it goes right into the jug I use to bring it to the recycling center.

You might want to take the cover off of your gearbox and clean out any metal particles in there. I had a lot in my lathe after the break in period and will be putting a magnet on the drain plug at the next oil change.

I do not have this lathe but looked at the online manual page 23 states ½ pint of gearbox lube. Therefore that’s 8 ounces of lube.

Your catch pan from US Plastic is 8.25” X 5.75” X 1” which is approximately 47.4 cubic inches or 26.26 ounces. This catch pan will easily hold the 8 ounces you need. As long as you have the area under the drain plug to rest the pan.

Looks like a great lathe enjoy!

When I change the gearbox oil on my 1228 I use one of the small empty lunch meat containers from the grocery store. Once the drain plug is loose and threads loosened to almost end of travel, slide the container under it and let it fall in with the gear oil. Once it has slowed to drip, slide the container out and slip a paper towel or rag under the drain opening to catch any errant drips.
I put a small magnet on my drain plug to catch any heavy metallic debris.
For filling it, cut a small 4-5" piece of 1/4" clear tubing (have a roll of Home Depot stuff from a few years back).
After drain plug re-installed squeeze the gear oil in slowly, it'll fill fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I use a plastic container that comes from the grocery store. The small ones that hold cole slaw, etc. It's only about a cup or so of oil. The 1228 manual gives you the capacity and type of oil. Small black packaged personal size frozen macaroni is slightly larger and lower. Put a cup water in one and see how high it gets.

I put a street elbow and 4" nipple on my drain, plugged the end, no funnels to deal, with flows right into a container

Back