Chuck problem

Gennaro

Registered
Registered
I am totally new here and hope that I am in the ight place. I have a South Bend lathe that the data plate says is a Model 89. I am attempting to clean it up and use it. I have run into a problem That perhaps others have solved. The lathe came with a 5 inch 3 jaw chuck that I cannot get apart. The backing plate comes off, the jaws are removed, the adjusting gear came out but the scroll will not budge. There is a pin? in the plate that does not seem to be threaded and has no access to the other end. could this be my problem? If so, how to solve it. The Pin? is at about 6:30 next to the lower attach hole in the picture.

Attachments

• thumbnail Chuck.jpg
    thumbnail Chuck.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 25
I would think the back cover has to come off somehow- it's probably gummed up with old grease and debris
Maybe try heating a bit, and some solvent or liquid wrench

Are there any identifying marks on the front of the Chuck? A brand name and model number would be helpful.
If the 1249 stamped in the back is the model number, that is at least a start. That sounds like it might be a Buck Chuck number.
Also a photo of the front of the chuck might be helpful.

The only one I have ever taken apart was a Buck Chuck Adjust-tru style. There were screws on the face that had to come out and 4 adjuster screws around the perimeter that also had to come out before you could remove the back plate.

The back plate is a fairly close fit to the body. Get as much of the debris out of that gap all the way around the base plate. A can of Brake Cleaner would be useful there. Put the chuck on its side and hose all those chips out. The scroll is held in by the key pinion gear (probably) so don't go pounding on the scroll. Here are some picks of my chuck taken apart. Perhaps it will help.

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_133634592_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230218_133634592_HDR.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 9
First, Welcome to the group!

The back plate is a fairly close fit to the body. Get as much of the debris out of that gap all the way around the base plate.

Yep, that's my thoughts too.

A couple zooms of your picture show that interface is full of chips:

ScreenShot128.jpgScreenShot127.jpg

Brian

When removing the scroll plate, it is important not to cant it as any slight tilt will cause the scroll plate to bind. When this happens, you will need to push it forward to reseat the scroll plate. It should be free to rotate again. Carefully push the plate out with equal force applied. With a bit of patience and persistence, it should come free. I might help to place the chuck with the back on a level surface and gently push from the front. Ideally, you would push at all three jaw positions but without a special tool, this is difficult. I push at two positions until I detect a small movement and then rotate positions, doing this until the scroll is free.

Back