Confused About TouchDRO

Nyala

Registered
Registered
I may have just damaged my mill Y-Axis DRO scale connection and will need to replace it.

I looked at TouchDRO but have yet to find anywhere that lists the needed items to get this system up and running.

It's confusing to see that it is wireless, then watch a YouTube video that shows wires running from the reader head to what appears to be the tablet used as a screen. Then read that it needs Bluetooth.

I get that I need a tablet, X and Y DRO scales, and software. What else do I need?

The system is excellent.
You need a tablet (check the TouchDro site for what works and what doesn't), a scale adapter (either Yuriy's pre-built kit or the DIY kit) and scales with DB-9 connectors.

I have a Kindle Fire 8 tablet running Bluetooth. It connects via BT to the scale adapter where the scales are connected.
There is nothing physically connected to the tablet.

I saw the pre-built kits on the TouchDRO website but didn't know what they were for.

So basically, I mount the scales, connect them to the adapter box, and mount the tablet (with software loaded) anywhere within BT range. Correct?

Thanks for your response.

I saw the pre-built kits on the TouchDRO website but didn't know what they were for.

So basically, I mount the scales, connect them to the adapter box, and mount the tablet (with software loaded) anywhere within BT range. Correct?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, in nutshell that’s it.
You have to do some setup and calibration but it’s pretty simple.

I may have just damaged my mill Y-Axis DRO scale connection and will need to replace it.

I looked at TouchDRO but have yet to find anywhere that lists the needed items to get this system up and running.

It's confusing to see that it is wireless, then watch a YouTube video that shows wires running from the reader head to what appears to be the tablet used as a screen. Then read that it needs Bluetooth.

I get that I need a tablet, X and Y DRO scales, and software. What else do I need?

There is a lot of information in the "Resources" section of the TouchDRO website, but these pages cover your questions (and more):
Introduction to TouchDRO
DIY DRO Build Overview
TouchDRO Initial Configuration
System Requirements
TouchDRO Quick Start Guide

The user manual (the parts that are done) is here: TouchDRO User Manual

In short,
when you buy a pre-made adapter you will need to:
  1. Obtain a Micro-USB phone charger to power the board
  2. Screw together the included enclosure
  3. Configure the connectors (there is no standard pinout, so you will need to find the pinout for your scales and connect the correct wires to the board. This is covered in detail here: Glass/Magnetic Scale Adapter Quick Start
  4. Obtain a compatible tablet (see system requirements)
  5. Install the application from Google Play Store or Amazon App Store
  6. Configure the application to fit your preferences/machine configuration
  7. Calibrate the scales
Hope this helps.
Yuriy

There aren't wires running to a tablet. The wires run to a circuit board that translates the data into a bluetooth signal that connects to the tablet. The tablet can be plugged in (wired) or run on batteries.

Cheap scales will work fine for most people.
I don't think I'm into my entire TouchDRO set up for more than $300. I already had the tablet so I don't count that.
I also installed the app on y phone and a second tablet, just in case.

Back